The revised DNA Master Annotation Guide is available on PhagesDB and the sea-wiki. Below are some important revisions to note.
- The process for submitting genomes for annotation QC has changed slightly. You are asked to submit two .dnam5 files. Particular attention to functional calls is needed.
- Start-site decision-making has been modified to use the Karlin/Kaplan scoring matrices (NOT DNA Master SD scores).
- Starterator: A new program is available for evaluating start-site options in the context of similar phages/genes.
- GeneMark’s servers were hacked, so program choices have changed.
- NCBI BLAST parameters have changed, so BLASTing whole genomes requires additional care.
Check out the What’s New document for further explanation!
Thanks for your input!