SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Running DNA Master on a Mac using Wine

| posted 11 Jan, 2018 19:13
Figure it out! Completely forgot to update before doing auto-annotation! What a dunce!
But if somebody does have a document with things to know about running DNAMaster on a mac, I still would love that. :-)
| posted 12 Jan, 2018 15:15
Veronique Delesalle
Figure it out! Completely forgot to update before doing auto-annotation! What a dunce!
But if somebody does have a document with things to know about running DNAMaster on a mac, I still would love that. :-)

I'm having the same issue, and I have updated the version of WINE. I'm running version 5.23.2, Build 2537, updated Dec. 11, 2017. When I auto-annotate, I get no features in my file. Has anyone else had this problem?'

Evan
| posted 12 Jan, 2018 17:50
Evan Merkhofer
Veronique Delesalle

I'm having the same issue, and I have updated the version of WINE. I'm running version 5.23.2, Build 2537, updated Dec. 11, 2017. When I auto-annotate, I get no features in my file. Has anyone else had this problem?'

Evan

After you updated, did you change the Gene Prediction and Secure Connection "preferences"?
See the DNAMaster_Update document of September 2017. Veronique
| posted 12 Jan, 2018 18:02
Veronique Delesalle
Evan Merkhofer
Veronique Delesalle

Evan

After you updated, did you change the Gene Prediction and Secure Connection "preferences"?
See the DNAMaster_Update document of September 2017. Veronique

Hi Veronique,

I completely forgot about the update, thanks! Give everyone at Gettysburg my best (class of '02 smile)

Evan
| posted 03 Feb, 2018 17:05
I have a student who cannot update DNAMaster on her Mac. Every time she updates and reopens, the update has not "taken". Any suggestions? Thx
| posted 08 May, 2018 18:32
I'm having an issue working with one of my phages on WINE. When I open the file and click frames, it gives me an error that says "Invalid window handle" (pic attached). I can bypass this by clicking ok and then "ORFs", and it shows me the predicted ORFs. However, when I highlight one and click on the RBS, if gives me an error that says "Access violation at 00968DC3…" (pic attached on next post).

This error only seems to come up with this C cluster phage, I'm wondering if it has to do with the size of the genome (the original error DNA Master gave me was "not enough memory" ). Has anyone else seen this? Thanks!

Evan
Edited 08 May, 2018 18:35
| posted 08 May, 2018 18:33
Second error message.
| posted 08 May, 2018 19:12
Hi Evan-

This has happened to me on occasion while running the WINE version of DNA Master, most often if I have two files open at the same time and try to do a Frames view of both files. I'm guessing that some sort of memory issue may be at play here. Does this happen every time you try to work with this phage, and when this phage is the only .dnam5 file open in DNA Master? If you can send the file to me I can try to duplicate the error to see what's going on.

Best,

Kristen
Evan Merkhofer
Second error message.
| posted 08 May, 2018 19:35
Kristen Butela
Hi Evan-

This has happened to me on occasion while running the WINE version of DNA Master, most often if I have two files open at the same time and try to do a Frames view of both files. I'm guessing that some sort of memory issue may be at play here. Does this happen every time you try to work with this phage, and when this phage is the only .dnam5 file open in DNA Master? If you can send the file to me I can try to duplicate the error to see what's going on.

Best,

Kristen
Evan Merkhofer
Second error message.

Thanks Kristen, it definitely seems to be a memory issue, as it's now giving me the "not enough memory" error. It's only this phage, and it is the only file open. In the past I only used a virtual machine and the PC version of DNA Master for this genome, but I don't have the virtual machine on my computer anymore. I just sent you the file, any help is greatly appreciated!smile

Evan
| posted 10 May, 2018 01:14
This will hopefully be a silly, easy-to-answer question!
We don't typically use DNA Master for Mac in our course, but we have some students who wish to continue unfinished annotations into the summer. They have downloaded and installed the Wine Bottle version posted by Baylor (thanks SEA colleagues!), and it appears to run fine. However, some run into trouble in that they cannot open files - they just hang. My suspicion is that the files need to be in the DNA Master archives folder, only those files aren't 'seen' when in the Mac Finder. Is my suspicion correct or is something else? Any solutions?

Thanks!

Login to post a reply.