SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Running DNA Master on a Mac using Wine

| posted 13 Jan, 2016 21:45
GregFrederick@letu.edu
Kristen Butela
Hi there Greg! Yes, I am currently still using WINE to run DNA Master. The great thing about WINE is that it really isn't a Windows emulator that requires a separate virtual machine-any WINE program can run on the native MacOS. From my understanding, WINE in combination with X11 provides a basic scaffold on the Mac on which Windows programs can run. All you need to do is to make sure that XQuartz/X11 (http://www.xquartz.org/) is installed on the computer (this permits WINE programs to function). Tamarah's link contains the entire DNA Master package. The Mac will treat this program as an app. Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks Kristen. I put the "Windows Emulator" in quotes cause I had read that it's not technically an emulator. But then again they took the name from that.

QUESTION:

Does X11 need to be installed separately? Or will Tammy's dmg install it?
EXCELLENT! I see Dan already answered my question! You all are AWESOME!!!
| posted 13 Jan, 2016 21:47
Does anyone have step-by-step install instructions that can be distributed to students? That would be would be a HUGE help for us OSX-challenged 'users'! smile
Edited 13 Jan, 2016 21:48
| posted 13 Jan, 2016 22:03
Hey Kristen. Are you running WINE v.1.8 or v.1.9.1 ?
I really REALLY appreciate all your help and advice!
Greg
| posted 14 Jan, 2016 19:27
GregFrederick@letu.edu
GregFrederick@letu.edu
Kristen Butela
Hi there Greg! Yes, I am currently still using WINE to run DNA Master. The great thing about WINE is that it really isn't a Windows emulator that requires a separate virtual machine-any WINE program can run on the native MacOS. From my understanding, WINE in combination with X11 provides a basic scaffold on the Mac on which Windows programs can run. All you need to do is to make sure that XQuartz/X11 (http://www.xquartz.org/) is installed on the computer (this permits WINE programs to function). Tamarah's link contains the entire DNA Master package. The Mac will treat this program as an app. Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks Kristen. I put the "Windows Emulator" in quotes cause I had read that it's not technically an emulator. But then again they took the name from that.

QUESTION: I think I have this. But I want to be certain I am correct. I am planning to give my students with Macs the link to XQuartz/X11 and a copy of Tammy's DNA-Master.dmg file. With those two pieces installed, they should be able to install, update, and run DNA Master on their OSX machines. Is this correct?

Thanks again! I'm sorry for all the questions… I should play with my wife's iMac more…. I guess!
| posted 14 Jan, 2016 19:36
GregFrederick@letu.edu
GregFrederick@letu.edu
GregFrederick@letu.edu
Kristen Butela

QUESTION: I think I have this. But I want to be certain I am correct. I am planning to give my students with Macs the link to XQuartz/X11 and a copy of Tammy's DNA-Master.dmg file. With those two pieces installed, they should be able to install, update, and run DNA Master on their OSX machines. Is this correct?

Thanks again! I'm sorry for all the questions… I should play with my wife's iMac more…. I guess!

Sounds to me that you do have it! smile All your students need to do is make sure that they have X11/XQuartz installed, and then they can download Tammy's DNA-Master.dmg file. This is all you need to run DNA Master on a Mac.

Sometimes, students will have occasional issues in starting up DNA Master. Normally, when you click on DNA Master on the Mac, it automatically opens up X11. Sometimes, this doesn't happen, and DNA Master won't open (no signs are given that something is wrong). If this happens, just open up X11 on your own before starting DNA Master.

I don't know why, but copying/pasting from DNA Master can stop working sometimes. To fix this, start up X11 and Navigate to X11 Preferences using the top status bar. Make sure that all boxes are checked under the Pasteboard tab.

Hope this helps!
| posted 14 Jan, 2016 20:08
Perfect! I'm sending the email! Thanks again for all the support "the SEA" and each of you offers.

gf
| posted 20 Jan, 2016 22:21
Hi. Sorry, I just saw your post. It is all included in the dmg. Did you get it working?
| posted 21 Jan, 2016 14:55
Thanks for setting this up, Tammy. My students with Mac's were able to successfully install the program. Very helpful since in the past we just focused on the PC laptops and made the others use the lab computers. Now almost everyone can use their own.
Lee
| posted 21 Jan, 2016 20:20
Tamarah Adair
Hi. Sorry, I just saw your post. It is all included in the dmg. Did you get it working?

Tammy. Sorry for the delayed response. I did not want to lie and then have to recant! I was not able to confirm until class this morning. But so far, all my Mac users have been able to run DNA Master with X11 on their MacBook Pros.

Thanks so much for making that file available. Greg
| posted 25 Jan, 2016 19:25
I've a student trying to install Wine-DNA Master on a machine running El Capitan (OSX 10.11). He gets it installed but gets the following DNA Master error message: "An error occurred while attempting to initialize the Borland Database Engine (error $210smile"

The web says there were problems with Wine on OSX 10.11 this past fall. I don't know if that is the issue but as best we can tell it is the only difference between his Macbook and the rest of the class.

So I'm asking a question similar to what I asked about DNA Master on Windows 10. Has anyone had success with this particular installation? Does the error code help in anyway?

Thanks,
Keith

Login to post a reply.