SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Running DNA Master on a Mac using Wine

| posted 02 Feb, 2016 20:54
I should also note that our university has advised us NOT to upgrade to El Capitan, so I'm still on the OSX 10.9.5
| posted 03 Feb, 2016 13:33
Kristen Butela
I should also note that our university has advised us NOT to upgrade to El Capitan, so I'm still on the OSX 10.9.5

I'm using Yosemite (10.10.5) and maybe that's a problem, as well. I've tried the last four versions of XQuartz and none solve the problem.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. It all clearly points to the need for an upgraded DNA Master that runs platform independent.

Keith
| posted 03 Feb, 2016 21:07
I am currently able to successfully BLAST using the following parameters:

OSX 10.9.5
XQuartz 2.7.6
DNA Master WINE package 5.22.15 with last update January 2015

My students are all on Macs ranging from 10.9.4 to El Capitan (11.3.1, I think).
I directed all of them to install XQuartz 2.7.6 and the DNA Master WINE package 5.22.15 with last update January 2015.

We just finished installing the same software configuration on everyone's computers, so I will have BLAST updates later this evening hopefully. I'm wondering if the BLAST OLE error is resulting from a combination of issues with DNA Master and XQuartz.
| posted 03 Feb, 2016 21:08
I should also note that I received the BLAST OLE error when using the updated Baylor package (latest DNA Master update) link with OSX 10.9.5 and XQuartz 2.7.6. Maybe it's also a problem with the latest DNA Master update?
| posted 04 Feb, 2016 01:33
Kristen Butela
I should also note that I received the BLAST OLE error when using the updated Baylor package (latest DNA Master update) link with OSX 10.9.5 and XQuartz 2.7.6. Maybe it's also a problem with the latest DNA Master update?

Your class will provide a great dataset regarding Mac OS X versions. I've gotten the OLE error with both the latest Baylor package and the one you posted. The date of the dmg file in the one you posted was April 2015, and I still get the OLE error. So your class is using an even earlier one?

I don't remember the problem at the moment but when I tried XQuartz 2.7.6 I seem to run into other problems on a machine with Yosemite.

I should know this but is there a way on DNA Master to prevent the auto update once installed?

Oh, and I don't get the OLE error when I BLAST multiple files. It gets to the end, outputs a text file which I think is XML formatted but does not pull the data into DNA Master. I've asked Welkin and Debbie if they know of a way. I think I'll ask them and/or Dan if they can get Jeff Lawrence to read this thread.
| posted 04 Feb, 2016 03:40
I just heard back from students using OSX 10.9.5 and 10.10.5. Both are still getting the OLE error when attempting to BLAST. Both students are using an old DNA Master build with XQuartz 2.7.6. I have no explanations at this point.

However, I just posted a separate thread on running DNA Master on the SEA Ubuntu Virtual Machine. I was successful at this attempt, and I am now able to run a mostly fully functional version of DNA Master directly on the VM. I do not get any errors when using BLAST.
| posted 04 Feb, 2016 15:04
Just FYI, everyone, Debbie and I Googled the "OLE" error you've been getting, and it seems like it's a WINE error. So that, along with Kristen's last post, would seem to indicate that there's nothing wrong with the latest DNA Master version per se, but perhaps there's an issue with the way it interacts with WINE.
| posted 04 Feb, 2016 17:07
Dan Russell
Just FYI, everyone, Debbie and I Googled the "OLE" error you've been getting, and it seems like it's a WINE error. So that, along with Kristen's last post, would seem to indicate that there's nothing wrong with the latest DNA Master version per se, but perhaps there's an issue with the way it interacts with WINE.

Dan, I agree. The problem has been there have been different components of the system that have changed and a matter of sorting them out. I'd also comment early on about what Google told me. It also suggested that there is a missing API or DLL. These, from my understanding, can be added in to WINE. I'm wondering if Jeff Lawrence would have an idea which are missing. It does seem, though, that X11 or more specifically XQuartz might also be a player. Look at Kristen's posting on getting DNA Master to work in the Ubuntu virtual machine. Likely it will be with a different version of WINE but also with a different X11. It also suggests a single virtual machine is all that needs to be distributed in the future.
| posted 04 Feb, 2016 19:40
Yesterday we tried this new version out in lab and I was able to BLAST. The newest version to the box account is at the following link:

https://baylor.box.com/s/sct7ixend1d29cn5n7qjlbcfod98hyny
Changes:
Rebuilt wine bottler package based on wine bottler 1.8rc4 (needed for El Capitan support)
Updated to current version of DNAMaster (5.22.23 dated 1/26/16)
Edited 04 Feb, 2016 20:06
| posted 04 Feb, 2016 20:10
Tamarah Adair
Yesterday we tried this new version out in lab and I was able to BLAST. The newest version to the box account is at the following link:

https://baylor.box.com/s/sct7ixend1d29cn5n7qjlbcfod98hyny
Changes:
Rebuilt wine bottler package based on wine bottler 1.8rc4 (needed for El Capitan support)
Updated to current version of DNAMaster (5.22.23 dated 1/26/16)

Awesome, Tammy. Thanks for doing this. Hopefully this new version will work for everyone.

–Dan

Login to post a reply.