SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Student download of 2016 VM

| posted 14 Sep, 2015 16:38
Can students get access to the VM 2016 via seaphages.org? Or do they have to be logged in as faculty? We're in class right now. Thanks!!
| posted 14 Sep, 2015 19:07
Sharon Isern
Can students get access to the VM 2016 via seaphages.org? Or do they have to be logged in as faculty? We're in class right now. Thanks!!

Because of the software included, we couldn't post it totally publicly. And since there's no "registered student" accounts on PhagesDB, there's no way to give them access to the protected page.

That said, I'll email you (and any other faculty who want it) the magic link!

–Dan
| posted 14 Sep, 2015 19:59
Awesome! Thanks, Dan.
| posted 18 Sep, 2015 18:03
Dan,

Can you create a page that students can get to that has all the instructions for installing the machine just like on the protected /software/virtualmachine/ page? I would like to be able to point students to all those well written instruction on how to go about installing virtual machines once I give them the virtual disk I want them to use.

thanks
| posted 18 Sep, 2015 18:06
cdshaffer
Dan,

Can you create a page that students can get to that has all the instructions for installing the machine just like on the protected /software/virtualmachine/ page? I would like to be able to point students to all those well written instruction on how to go about installing virtual machines once I give them the virtual disk I want them to use.

thanks

That's a good point, Chris. I'll try to rework the page so that it's open to everyone but only has the download links for logged-in faculty.

–Dan
| posted 18 Sep, 2015 18:48
Okay, the Virtual Machine page is now public, but the download links are disabled unless a faculty member is logged in. In addition, only the student password is visible to non-faculty. Hope that works, and let me know if there are any issues.

–Dan
| posted 19 Sep, 2015 18:35
Hi, I have a PC and I've been trying to download and unzip the Sea VM file but I keep getting an error saying that the zip file is invalid.

Can someone please help me if they have encountered the same problem or knows how to fix this.

Thanks,

-Asjah F.
| posted 21 Sep, 2015 13:56
asjahfed
Hi, I have a PC and I've been trying to download and unzip the Sea VM file but I keep getting an error saying that the zip file is invalid.

Can someone please help me if they have encountered the same problem or knows how to fix this.

Thanks,

-Asjah F.

Hi Asjah,

What version of Windows are you using? First I would verify that the entire file downloaded. You can check the size (~4.7 Gb) but I'd also suggest verifying the md5sum value to be completely sure you have the intact file. You can use a program like HashCheck on Windows to figure out the md5sum of the file you downloaded. It should exactly match the md5sum posted here.

If you're sure you downloaded the entire file, and the md5sum matches, please post here and let us know, and we'll get to the bottom of it.

–Dan
| posted 21 Sep, 2015 21:39
Dan Russell
asjahfed

Thanks,

-Asjah F.

Hi Asjah,

What version of Windows are you using? First I would verify that the entire file downloaded. You can check the size (~4.7 Gb) but I'd also suggest verifying the md5sum value to be completely sure you have the intact file. You can use a program like HashCheck on Windows to figure out the md5sum of the file you downloaded. It should exactly match the md5sum posted here.

If you're sure you downloaded the entire file, and the md5sum matches, please post here and let us know, and we'll get to the bottom of it.

–Dan

Thanks Dan,

I checked everything out and the entire file did not download; only 1.90 GB
This is the MD5: aa5940d9396c888a88a46b88458c9b07 which does not match the correct one.
I have tried downloading this file more than 5 times and I am not sure why it's not downloading completely.
| posted 28 Sep, 2015 14:15
Hi Dan,

Were you able to figure out what the problem may be with the download?
Thanks,

-Asjah F.
Edited 28 Sep, 2015 14:16

Login to post a reply.