SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

TAC frameshift in singleton

| posted 01 Nov, 2021 19:58
OK,
I have the situation in phage onionknight (a singleton) looking for a tail assembly chaperone and looking for the slip. The attached shows the region which is the only sequence that matches at all with any of the published slippery sequences. However, it is by no means an exact match. See pic, I have highlighted the putative slippery sequence in blue and the two translation frames in red. This would be a typical -1. This slip would be about 20 amino acids upstream of the stop codon in the short form so not an unreasonable location, it would just be nice to get a consensus with other annotators if this match to published slippery sequences is close enough to annotate or should we just leave it as two separate ORF's.
| posted 01 Nov, 2021 20:56
Hi Chris,
I want this to slip, and i think that it has to slip, BUT it does not fit any published programmed ribosomal slippages to date. I would leave it as 2 separate orfs. But if someone want to talk me into calling it, I am all ears!
debbie
| posted 03 Nov, 2021 16:25
As usual we are in agreement. I too think it is a really strong candidate but I was just not going to call without something more in support.

Login to post a reply.