SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

No Ubuntu 64-bit option when installing 2017 VM on Windows

| posted 01 Dec, 2016 16:25
Hi all,

We switched the SEA Virtual Machine to be 64-bit this year instead of 32-bit, and one unintended side-effect is that on some Windows computers, you'll have to make one or two changes to be able to install the VM. If you'd like this in document version it's at the link below.

Instructions to enable 64-bit Ubuntu in Virtual Box

Now here's the fix itself…

PROBLEM: After installing Virtual Box on Windows, there is no “Ubuntu (64-bit)” option in the dropdown menu, only “Ubuntu (32-bit)”.

There are two steps below that should fix this and allow you to select a 64-bit option for your VM installation. The first step can be done from within Windows fairly quickly. If that doesn’t work, the second step required entering your system’s BIOS, so we recommend trying the first one, then moving on to the second only if necessary.

Step 1: Change Hyper-V settings (easier fix)
  1. In Windows, open the “Turn Windows Features On of Off” window.
  2. You can get there by either going to Start Control Panel Programs Turn Windows Features On/Off, or searching for “Windows Features”.
  3. Locate the Hyper-V checkboxes and make sure they are all UNCHECKED. See the screenshot below.
  4. Restart Virtual Box and see if the 64-bit option is enabled.  If yes, yay!  If not, go to Step 2.  In either case, leave these unchecked.

Step 2: Enable Intel virtualization (more complicated fix)
  1. Enter your computer’s BIOS (Basic Input/Output System).
  2. This may also be called UEFI.  The ways to do this vary by manufacturer, but common ways to do this include holding down the Shift key then restarting the computer, or pressing the Fn or F2 key while the computer powers on.  It always involves restarting and if you see a message like “Press F2 to enter setup” then do so!  If you see Windows, you’re too late, just restart and try again. If you’re having trouble, Google your computer’s make/model and BIOS. For example Google “Enter BIOS on HP Envy 17” and follow the instructions.
  3. In the BIOS/UEFI, find the settings regarding Virtualization.
  4. These may be in a section called Security.  The two settings you are looking for are called:
    • Intel (R) Virtualization Technology
    • Intel (R) VT-d Feature
    Make sure these are both ENABLED.
  5. Exit the BIOS and boot into Windows. Now Virtual Box will have an “Ubuntu (64-bit)” option in the dropdown menu.

Edited 01 Dec, 2016 16:40
| posted 17 Jan, 2017 18:12
We are running into a problem with Windows 10 Home version.

The Home version of Windows 10 which is on a lot of our student computers does not have the Hyper-V option.

See this link for reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/reference/hyper-v-requirements

I cannot ask my students to spend the money to update their OS.

QUESTION: Is there another option available? i.e. a 32bit 2017 SEA VM

HELP PLEASE???
| posted 17 Jan, 2017 20:59
Hi Greg,

You actually want Hyper-V turned OFF, not on, so I don't think it is an issue that some hardware setups don't allow it. The second step in the instructions above is usually the one that needs to be rectified, and Windows 10 Home users should still be able to do that.

–Dan
| posted 25 Jan, 2017 00:21
So, just to clarify: if Step 1 fails then the only way to install SEA VM is to start changing BIOS settings? No other options available? I currently have five students in my class that can't install the 64-bit VM.
| posted 27 Jan, 2017 15:24
mavrodi
So, just to clarify: if Step 1 fails then the only way to install SEA VM is to start changing BIOS settings? No other options available? I currently have five students in my class that can't install the 64-bit VM.

Hi Dmitri,

Yes, unfortunately the systems we tested the new VM on didn't have the no-64-bit-option issue, so we didn't anticipate this level of trouble. A second option would be to revert to the 2016 SEA VM, which is fairly similar and won't need much tweaking to be brought up-to-date. If you'd like links to the 2016 version, please email me!

–Dan
| posted 27 Jan, 2017 15:55
There is apparently one additional trick on some Windows 10 machines.

It worked fine on my own personal PC with Windows 10. I got it working with my office PC (Win7) with no problems. But our IT guys (at a mainly engineering school where they are VERY good) could not get the Virtual Box to allow the 64bit install on the classroom computers.

Two night ago, I spent about 4 hours digging to the BIOS setting on the classroom computers and on my office computer to try to make my office computer "not work" like the classroom computers so I could show IT how to make them work….

Long story short, after changing a few final BIOS settings on my office computer, I crashed my office computer and it would not even boot into the BIOS any longer.

BUT THE SILVER LINING: Once IT was able to get my office computer back alive again, they said that the process helped them know what was required in the classroom computers. They said there was one additional Windows option that had to be changed that was not listed in the SEA PHAGES install document. They were able to get all 35 of the classroom PCs set to allow the Oracle VB version 5.1 to run Linux at 64bit.

I need to tel them thanks this morning. I did not have time yesterday. But I will also ask them to let me know exactly what that "one last setting change" is. That may help others too!

| posted 27 Jan, 2017 17:49
FOLLOW UP FROM OUR I.T. TEAM:

The particular service that was causing the issue for us on Windows 10 clients was "Device Guard."

A quick way to find out if it is enabled is to run msinfo32 on the Windows 10 computer having problems: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68926-device-guard-verify-if-enabled-disabled-windows-10-a.html

A PowerShell script is available from Microsoft to disable this feature: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53337

I would recommend that anyone having problems consult their IT department. It may take someone who is familiar with the workings of PowerShell to initiate this script with the correct "switches."
| posted 28 Mar, 2017 11:52
My Phamerator ran a database update, and now it's hung up: Database Setup Required. Please enter your root database password. ? What's this? Also asked on main seahages page (before finding this forum!).
Thanks,
VBK
| posted 28 Mar, 2017 14:29
Hi Victoria,

If Phamerator ever prompts you for a password, it should just be: "phage". If that doesn't work, something else has gone wrong!

–Dan

Login to post a reply.