SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Function calling problem

| posted 08 Feb, 2024 21:23
I am a student of Professor Baromy. I am having trouble calling the function of a protein. My matches on HHpred include both Holliday junction resolvase and RuvC. Per the calling instructions, I am to call a Holliday junction resolvase only if not RusA or RuvC. The way that I am interpreting this information is that I would call this gene a RuvC because my HHpred matches include more than just Holiday junction resolvase. Would my assumption be correct?

I appreciate your time and help.

-Brandon
| posted 09 Feb, 2024 03:37
Hi Brandon,
More information is needed. What gene (please include coordinates) and genome are your inquiring about?
thanks,
debbie
| posted 14 Feb, 2024 18:49
Debbie,

The genome is that of Benry and gene 40 in particular. I plan on calling the start at 25022 and stop at 25630.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

-Brandon
| posted 14 Feb, 2024 18:49
Debbie,

The genome is that of Benry and gene 40 in particular. I plan on calling the start at 25022 and stop at 25630.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

-Brandon
| posted 14 Feb, 2024 20:19
Hi Brandon,
I think that what you are asking me is to decide if the appropriate functional call is Holliday junction resolvase or RuvC-like resolvase, yes?
What do you think it should be? What is your evidence Have you read any papers about them? How are those two functions related? What did your professor think?
debbie

Login to post a reply.