SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

DNA Master and Windows 10

| posted 10 Jan, 2022 17:42
Dan can I use Winebottler for my Mac? It looks like it is not set up for my operating system (Big Sur) I apparently do have an Intel CPU on the mac which one web site says will work.
| posted 10 Jan, 2022 20:22
I would try increasing the base memory for the VM to like 4096 Mb or even higher. 2 Gb (your current setting) is quite low for Windows to be able to run, so increasing that should help. It won't necessarily use all the memory you allocate, but it's better to be higher. I also have 16 Gb on my Mac, and my Windows 10 VM has 6140 Mb of memory allocated.

–Dan
| posted 11 Jan, 2022 03:28
Dan –increasing the memory settings worked–thanks so much for your help!
| posted 11 Jan, 2022 03:32
Dan, One of our students is having trouble loading virtual box on his Mac Book Air (M1, 2020) Mac OS Monterey version 12.1 He gets this message: "Unsupported hardware architecture detected! The installer has detected an unsupported architecture. Virtual box only runs on the amd64 architecture”. The information on the web is confusing in terms of the ability to run virtual box on the M1 macs. Some seem to claim a workaround, others say there is no way to run VB on this type of Mac. Do you have any ideas how to help hime?

Thanks!
| posted 22 Feb, 2022 00:19
nancyguild
Dan, One of our students is having trouble loading virtual box on his Mac Book Air (M1, 2020) Mac OS Monterey version 12.1 He gets this message: "Unsupported hardware architecture detected! The installer has detected an unsupported architecture. Virtual box only runs on the amd64 architecture”. The information on the web is confusing in terms of the ability to run virtual box on the M1 macs. Some seem to claim a workaround, others say there is no way to run VB on this type of Mac. Do you have any ideas how to help hime?

Thanks!
Hi Nancy,

Not sure if you had this resolved, but you can go to : https://seaphages.org/forums/topic/5256/
where it was discussed that Virtual box does not work in the new Macs. A new software to try is Parallel, though it costs $40 per student. We had the same problem a month ago!
| posted 22 Feb, 2022 00:19
nancyguild

Thanks!
Hi Nancy,

Not sure if you had this resolved, but you can go to : https://seaphages.org/forums/topic/5256/
where it was discussed that Virtual box does not work in the new Macs. A new software to try is Parallel, though it costs $40 per student. We had the same problem a month ago!

Login to post a reply.