SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

secreted protein?

| posted 16 Mar, 2023 20:18
I'm currently working on phage Culver in the CQ1 cluster, and I came across gene 9 (2199-2537) which had confusing BLAST results. I tried to find "secreted protein" in the official function list, but couldn't find it. Is this something that we no longer call?

BLASTp results included as an attachment.
| posted 16 Mar, 2023 23:42
Ellen,
Hi. There is no data that supports "secreted protein". I am not sure where that came from, but is no longer in use. when you run this protein through DeepTMHMM, it does have a single transmembrane domain, so "membrane protein" can be assigned to this protein.

Note that when you look at pham data on phagesDB, you don't find "secreted protein" as a function call across the pham but the NCBI blast hits that do call it are from RefSeqs. So it appears that the RefSeq's at NCBI are not as current. Supporting data to a call will be present outside of blast if it is a true call (most of the time)>

debbie

Login to post a reply.