SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Blast error

| posted 03 Sep, 2020 14:59
All,

I am getting the following error when I try to blast a gene in DNAM on my PC running W10 (not a surface).

Error connecting with SSL.
error: 1409442E:SSL routines::SSL3_READ_BYTES:tlsv1 alert protocol version.

Anyone else having any trouble or aware of anything going on? Or any ideas?

Steve
| posted 03 Sep, 2020 15:14
Tried it several times with different files and it never works. I have seen another error message, though:

Error connect with SSL.
EOF was observed that violates the protocol.

Which sounds really unfortunate, if you ask me.

Steve
| posted 03 Sep, 2020 16:35
Hi Steve,
You are just having a heck of time.
Have you checked your DNA Master BLAST preferences?
debbie
| posted 03 Sep, 2020 16:41
I hope they are correct, although you never know.
But I just got to campus and tried it from a computer that I know DNAM works on, and hasn't been changed. Same error.

Steve
| posted 03 Sep, 2020 16:51
Steve,
I just got the same error. I'll look into it from my end.
debbie
| posted 03 Sep, 2020 16:58
Thanks, guess it's more than just me, then.

Steve
| posted 03 Sep, 2020 19:02
Debbie & Steve,
I am also getting
Error connecting with SSL.
EOF was observed that violates the protocol.
Roy
| posted 03 Sep, 2020 21:30
Hello,
I'm trying to auto-annotate my phage that we got (before my class has to do it) and I pre-selected a few and it seems as though it isn't working. My progress has been at 0% for the past 3 hours and I only pre-selected 5 genes. It worked before with Ellie so I'm not sure why it's not working this time.

Thanks! Jasmin
| posted 04 Sep, 2020 00:22
Hey again,

I tried to blast just one gene and I also got Error connecting with SSL
Jasmin
| posted 04 Sep, 2020 12:30
This is bad timing since I have 120 students blasting genes starting this weekend. Just to confirm, I checked it this morning on another computer and on the UMBC virtual desktop and got the same result. So it looks like either NCBI is having a problem or the connection between DNAM and NCBI has one.

I did check NCBI online, and it is working, so it isn't the main BLAST system.

Steve

Login to post a reply.