SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Multiple ORFs in GeneMark

| posted 11 Sep, 2019 13:45
My class is currently annotating an adopted genome and when I produced the GeneMark(smeg)file, I noticed that many of the genes have ORFs in alternate reading frames. This happens 36 times in a genome with 90 genes. We're annotating the genes that have been called in these cases, but it seems much more common than in previous genomes that I've annotated. Should I be concerned?
| posted 11 Sep, 2019 14:02
Hi Christine,
I moved your thread to "gene or not a gene" because it is not really a question about using PECAAN but more about how to use GeneMark data to determine the gene content of your annotation.

In order to give you the best answer, we need some more information— which phage is it? Could you please provide the GeneMark output you are looking at here?

Thanks so much!
Welkin
| posted 11 Sep, 2019 14:55
Hi Welkin,
We're looking at LastJedi. I've attached the GeneMark(smog) output. Thanks!
Christine
| posted 11 Sep, 2019 14:55
GeneMark(smeg)
| posted 11 Sep, 2019 18:13
Hi Christine,
Do you mean changing transcription direction? Or just existing in different reading frames? The most common arrangement of genes that we see in phage genomes is a 4bp overlap, which leads to adjacent genes in different translational frames. So yes, that is quite common.
| posted 11 Sep, 2019 19:22
I was asking about multiple genes existing in different reading frames at the same time…based on the GeneMark(smeg) calls.
| posted 11 Sep, 2019 19:22
I was asking about multiple genes existing in different reading frames at the same time…based on the GeneMark(smeg) calls.

Login to post a reply.