SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

DNAMaster BLAST failure

| posted 05 Aug, 2021 22:20
vbrownk
I am getting this same error now, just like Tamarah's.
Error (16) retrieving results for RID …

OK WELL … this resolved when I switched from university wifi to ethernet.
Whew!
-VBK
| posted 25 Aug, 2021 12:41
Hi. I'm getting a Blast error: "Error sending requests to QBlast server". The one thing I see in Preferences that the Guide doesn't specify is on the Secure Connections page, I have drop down boxes next to what is checked and it is defaulted to TLS 1.2. Should it be SSL 2 or 3 instead? Or any other suggestions are very welcome.
Thanks
| posted 10 Dec, 2021 00:26
CCSNH-NHTI
Hi. I'm getting a Blast error: "Error sending requests to QBlast server". The one thing I see in Preferences that the Guide doesn't specify is on the Secure Connections page, I have drop down boxes next to what is checked and it is defaulted to TLS 1.2. Should it be SSL 2 or 3 instead? Or any other suggestions are very welcome.
Thanks
I second this inquiry! Same error & same thought re: specifying the dropdown secure connection type…
| posted 10 Dec, 2021 00:49
DanRussell
Hi Katie,

I think this error is due to not having a certain library installed on the particular version of Windows that's running. That library wasn't required until after the update earlier this year to use secure NCBI servers. I think I came across that error myself, and in my notes I have that I went to the link below and installed the Visual C++ package there, then restarted and it worked.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

UPDATE Sep 2021: The link above no longer works, but the file can be found at the link below now. Download it from within Windows and then run it, and make sure you close DNA Master and restart Windows before trying to BLAST again.

https://phagesdb.org/static/vcredist_x86.exe

Hopefully that helps,
–Dan

Nevermind – changing secure connection did not work but this installation recommended by Dann has. Woo!
| posted 07 Apr, 2022 14:29
Hey Folks,

We are experiencing trouble Blasting in DNA Master. When BLASTing all genes, it can run for days with 0% progress. When BLASTing a single gene, we see an error message "HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden" I have updated DNA Master. Tied ethernet and wireless. I have tried to ensure that our preferences are set correctly, according to the directions in the Bioinformatics Guidelines, but I do not even have a "secure connections" box as an option under PREFERENCES–> Internet. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
| posted 07 Apr, 2022 17:06
Eric,
Your version of DNA Master needs to be updated.
You must update to get that "secure connections" box in preferences.
I believe the problem is that you must run DNA Master as administrator even when you are updating. Check on that and try again. My latest version is 5.23.6, Build 2705, 14 October 2021.
| posted 14 Jul, 2022 18:17
Hi all,

I'm also running into issues with BLAST.
My version of DNAM is 5.23.6, Build 2705, 14 October 2021.I did install the file that Dan shared above using his directions.

When I tried to re-BLAST the entire genome last night, it did seem to send all the queries and read results, but I did get some errors like the following:

Error (4) retrieving results for RID FA02Z622015 for feature 280

I'm also getting errors called "Error sending results to QBlast server"

Unfortunately when I woke up and checked the results this morning, DNA master had completely crashed smile so I don't know if that BLAST search worked or not.

I tried to BLAST a single gene, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. The window has displayed "Sending BLAST request" for 5 minutes and no other updates are coming through.

I also tried to blast a subset (the first 5) genes and I am getting the same "error retrieving results".

Any thoughts on what I can try next?

Thanks,
Amanda
Edited 14 Jul, 2022 18:49
| posted 14 Jul, 2022 18:28
*One other note: We did all our annotations in PECAAN, which I think does re-BLAST automatically if a different start site is chosen. I then exported the annotation and used it to parse genes in the FASTA file in DNAM in preparation for the minimal file.

With that in mind, do I need to do the re-BLAST within DNA Master?
| posted 14 Jul, 2022 19:22
Hi Amanda,
Here is thought, that may help. You can BLAST a subset of genes at a time in DNA Master. Here is the Bioinformatics Guide entry that explains:
https://seaphagesbioinformatics.helpdocsonline.com/article-70
| posted 14 Jul, 2022 19:31
Thanks, Debbie - I did try BLASTing a subset (the first five genes) and got the same issue. smile

Login to post a reply.