SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Phosporibosylpyrophosphate synthetase

| posted 15 Apr, 2018 21:51
Hi All,
I found a Phosphoribosylpyrophosphate synthetase match for gene 82 in Neville (an unclustered Gordonia). The phagesdb matches have this gene called all over the board from less specific phosporibosyl transferase (Oneup_100), phosphoribosylphosphatase (thibault_115). There is also a gene called ribose-phosphate pyrophosphokinase (Snenia_73) which is the same thing as a Phosphoribosylpyrophosphate synthetase.

Phosphoribosyl transferase is the only approved function call. I looked at the alignment of Neville_82 to the Bacillus subtillus PPRP synthetase (which is crystalized) and found that it had nearly all of the conserved residues and many of the less conserved residues. It has the conserved residues necessary for the pyrophosphate binding domain, for the ribose-5phosphate binding domain and the mADP binding and active site. (see attachment).

Is it best just to call this a phosphoribosyl transferase or do you want the specificity of PPRP synthetase?

Thanks
Sally
| posted 16 Apr, 2018 16:05
sounds like you are making a strong case for including the more specific one. Which way are you leaning on this?
| posted 16 Apr, 2018 18:50
Hi Welkin,
I was thinking that this gene is for sure a PRPP synthetase and that we should add it to the function list. I guess I was worried about clouding the waters by throwing another name in for that one pham.
Thanks Welkin!

Login to post a reply.