SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

FIC family protein

| posted 12 Nov, 2017 15:56
Kiko_draft_36 BLAST data (attached) shows strong hits to FIC family protein in many bacteria. HHpred also hits FIC protein/domain as well as many other things (attached). What do you think is the appropriate functional call? I have also attached the product sequence if you want to take it to HHpred yourself to see the full data.
Edited 12 Nov, 2017 15:57
| posted 15 Jan, 2018 04:20
Beckie,

I think the big question to ask is what does it mean to be an FIC protein. When I did a quick search I found that these proteins contain a domain that is HPFXXGNG and indeed your protein has this conserved domain. What I also found was that this family of proteins has a member called DOC that stands for death on curing and somehow leads to cell death if the P1 prophage is lost. In this case the lysogen is carried as a plasmid and can be lost during cell division but if cells lose the plasmid lysogen they die. This seems like a really cool and possible function for your protein.

Hopefully Welkin will look at this and make a decision.

Best,

Dave

Login to post a reply.