SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

DNA Master Issue

| posted 21 Jan, 2020 16:00
Hi Dan
I am using a school laptop from home, the laptop was initially set up by our IT. I am working using an administrator account. I found a post on DNA Master and Windows 10 from Welkin dealing with the Windows 10 UAC. I follow her instructions to add DNA Master as a trusted application in windows 10. I reinstalled DNA Master. Let's see how long it works.
Thank you
F
| posted 20 Aug, 2021 14:54
Hi. I just had my IT department reinstall DNAM on my computer because I was getting so many error messages. As I'm setting Preferences for the Gene Prediction settings, the Glimmer and Genemark server url's are there but I don't have the "Use PBI Server…" part
And the Internet section does not have the "Secure Connections" tab after Blast (or the Home Site tab to select the connection to the ncbi genomes/QBlast server. Any thoughts?
| posted 20 Aug, 2021 14:56
Hi!
I think that this is the issue:
If the 'Use PBI server…" is not on your screen, you still need to update DNA Master to continue. Be sure to update as an administer.

debbie
| posted 20 Aug, 2021 15:16
IT won't give me admin rights so I'll have them come back. I did just see an "FTP failure" message when I hit Begin, did not see that earlier today. I saw a forum post re: FTP messages- is that what I should follow if the admin update does not work?
Beth
IT won't give me admin rights so I'll have them come back. I did just see an "FTP failure" message when I hit Begin, did not see that earlier today. I saw a forum post re: FTP messages- is that what I should follow if the admin update does not work?
Beth
Beth
| posted 20 Aug, 2021 15:44
Yes. I think so.
| posted 20 Aug, 2021 16:14
OK, glad I am doing this before classes start! So IT followed the FTP protocol, reinstalled. Those features seem to be back in Preferences but the "FTP failure" message does pop up upon opening. The IT guy says the only one that works without error messages on my computer is the 2015 version- but I think that was the one missing preferences. So I assume you are not going to say I can ignore the message? And if not, would you/anyone else know what else to try?
Thanks for your time by the way!
Beth
| posted 30 Aug, 2021 22:18
It sounds like you are having the same FTP connection issues within DNA Master that we encountered over the summer (see https://seaphages.org/forums/topic/5155/?page=2). We were able to download DNA Master onto Windows 10, but we cannot get DNA Master to complete its update. When we try to update, we get a message that DNA Master is updating helper programs, and when this reaches 3%, we get the error message "FTP failure," and DNA Master isn't able to fully update itself. This results in limited functionality of the program. BLAST searches fail, but I'm not certain what else also fails since I haven't done extensive testing.

The problem isn't with downloading DNA Master, the problem lies with DNA Master not being able to connect to the FTP site to update itself. We have been unable to solve this issue on our own.
| posted 31 Aug, 2021 02:11
Hi all.
Kristen is correct. We are aware of this issue and are working on it.
debbie

Login to post a reply.