SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

2022 Genomics Workshop Follow-up Annotation: Ciao

| posted 14 Jan, 2023 23:51
Hello!
Gene: 39356-39886 states Glimmer calls 39356 but not called by Genemark.
I agree with Glimmer: start and stop outside coding potential and when I blast the sequence there are many other phages with this exact sequence called (E value 0.0).
My question is why wouldn't Genemark call anything?
I don't know enough about either program to have any reasonable idea, I haven't seen that statement before in the DNAMase notes section.
So I am curious..
I have attached pictures just to be through in my evidence.
| posted 14 Jan, 2023 23:52
Additoinal pic for my previous question.
| posted 17 Jan, 2023 14:11
Hi Amy,
There are lots of reasons why Glimmer and GeneMark don't call the same things exactly the same. Mostly their algorithms are different. and the math breaks down with small proteins. It is why we use both. And they can both miss a call and predict something that we throw away. If automation made the best calls, we would not be doing this one gene at a time.
debbie

Login to post a reply.