SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Running DNA Master on the Ubuntu SEA Virtual Machine

| posted 04 Feb, 2016 03:37
After several agonizing hours and an incredibly steep learning curve, I am now running DNA Master on the SEA Virtual Machine. I am able to BLAST without getting the OLE error that my students are getting on the Mac WINE version. If this is something others are interested in, I will create a Screenflow for installation and use.
| posted 04 Feb, 2016 13:59
Kristen Butela
After several agonizing hours and an incredibly steep learning curve, I am now running DNA Master on the SEA Virtual Machine. I am able to BLAST without getting the OLE error that my students are getting on the Mac WINE version. If this is something others are interested in, I will create a Screenflow for installation and use.

Oh, so much more clever than me. I was doing the same concept on a little labtop running Ubuntu (and Phamerator) but ran out of time and RAM. Doing it on a virtual machine is a great idea.

I think it would useful information for people to have. And maybe next year SEA Phages could have an Ubuntu vmdk file to download with not only the current software packages but WINE-DNA Master

One quick question. Did you use wine 1.6 from the Ubuntu repositories or download and build either 1.8 or 1.9 from WineHQ?
| posted 04 Feb, 2016 18:52
I'm definitely interested. My student work on laptops, and we create a Windows VM for the students with Macs to run DNA Master but it's a hassle for a variety of reasons. I'd love it they only had one install.
Edited 04 Feb, 2016 18:52

Login to post a reply.