SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

DNA Master and Windows 10

| posted 23 Jan, 2016 02:22
I have a student trying to install DNA Master on a machine running Windows 10. Has anyone else had problems? I remember on Windows 8 there were some additional steps. When the student downloads and runs the installation file it opens a window asking if she wants to Modify, Repair or Remove. It does not appear to ask if she wants to Install. When she tried to back out of the installation process she got the following error message "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance" And she tells me IT had to install an additional program to uninstall whatever of DNA Master did get installed on Windows 10.

At the moment that's what I know. If others have installed DNA Master on a Windows 10 machine with no problems the maybe the file was simply damaged. It would, in fact, be useful to have easy access to checksum or some similar information for both DNA Master and especially the Linux virtual machine files.

Keith Hutchison
Edited 23 Jan, 2016 19:15
| posted 25 Jan, 2016 18:02
I have not tried Windows 10 but the checksums for the virtual disk images are here.
| posted 25 Jan, 2016 20:08
cdshaffer
I have not tried Windows 10 but the checksums for the virtual disk images are here.

Great, thanks!
Keith
Edited 25 Jan, 2016 20:10
| posted 26 Jan, 2016 04:59
I installed DNA Master on my new laptop that runs Windows 10 and don't remember having any problems getting it up and running.

Lee
| posted 26 Jan, 2016 19:17
DNA Master installed fine on my WinX machine too.

Make certain they right click the download file and select "Run as administrator". Then once installed, find the .exe file which should be in "C:program files (x86)/DNA Master". Once they find the DNAMas.exe file, right click it, select "Properties", then "Compatibility", then click "Run as administrator" and "OK.

I usually have the student save a short-cut on the desktop at that point so they get it started correctly next time.

Once the DM program starts, there is a window that pops asking if you want to run this "program of unknown origin". (I wish that would go away!) Just say yes and it should run fine…

Make certain you cross all fingers and toes prior to doing any of this! smile
Edited 26 Jan, 2016 19:19
| posted 26 Jan, 2016 19:40
Greg and Lee, thanks to both.

I've sent the student a reminder set of instructions on dealing with Admin privileges. When you have only one with the problem and that one is the only one running Windows 10, I had to wonder. Knowing it is not an OS issue lets me look more closely at what the student is actually doing.

Keith

GregFrederick@letu.edu
DNA Master installed fine on my WinX machine too.

Make certain they right click the download file and select "Run as administrator". Then once installed, find the .exe file which should be in "C:program files (x86)/DNA Master". Once they find the DNAMas.exe file, right click it, select "Properties", then "Compatibility", then click "Run as administrator" and "OK.

I usually have the student save a short-cut on the desktop at that point so they get it started correctly next time.

Once the DM program starts, there is a window that pops asking if you want to run this "program of unknown origin". (I wish that would go away!) Just say yes and it should run fine…

Make certain you cross all fingers and toes prior to doing any of this! smile
| posted 26 Jan, 2016 19:52

Let us know if you find another potential kink. I've found at least 1 per student so far this semester….
I'm glad I like computer science and technology!!! (But I also have my own unanswered Qs in other parts of the forum waiting to be answered!)
| posted 09 Jan, 2022 20:56
I am trying to set up windows on a virtual box on my mac and during the set up I am asked to enter a PIN–once I hit that page my mouse does not work any more..I cannot type anything from my keyboard when I could for every previous page (entering an email and a password). Any idea why this froze up? I can move the mouse on the screen and it jerks around rather than makes fine movements. When I get in the text box I cannot type anything. Thanks for any help you can offer
| posted 10 Jan, 2022 16:56
Hey Nancy,

Not sure, but it sounds like your computer might be struggling to run the virtual Windows. What's the base RAM of your Mac computer? And how much memory and video memory did you allocate to the Windows VM?

–Dan
| posted 10 Jan, 2022 17:34
Dan,

For the virtual box I have these settings: Video memory is 128MB, base memory is 2048 MB. I have 16GB of memory on the Mac

Thanks Dan

Login to post a reply.