SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Calling an ADP riboosyltransferase in DZ phage Morgana

| posted 23 Jun, 2023 20:32
There are three DZ cluster phages in addition to Morgana. In each of the three DZ phages, there is a large gene of 2622 bp annotated as ADP-ribosyltransferase

In Morgana, in the same area, there are two smaller genes encoded in two different frames - gp 141 ( ~ 80 bp) and gp 142. While BLAST gives hits for ADP-ribosyltransferase for both genes, only the second gene has a HHPRED hit and also 2 conserved domain hits from CDD for ADP-ribosyltransferses. I think that there is likely a frameshift in gp 141 (since there are no 1:1 matches for gp 42) and that is why there are two separate ORFs.
I know that we cannot call a frameshift, but what should we do in terms of functional annotation? I am leaning towards calling gp141 as NKF and GP 142 as ADP-ribosyltransferase.
I have attached the HHPRED hit for the ADP-ribosyltransferase hit.
| posted 23 Jun, 2023 20:37
fogartym1
There are three DZ cluster phages in addition to Morgana. In each of the three DZ phages, there is a large gene of 2622 bp annotated as ADP-ribosyltransferase

In Morgana, in the same area, there are two smaller genes encoded in two different frames - gp 141 ( ~ 80 bp) and gp 142. While BLAST gives hits for ADP-ribosyltransferase for both genes, only the second gene has a HHPRED hit and also 2 conserved domain hits from CDD for ADP-ribosyltransferses. I think that there is likely a frameshift in gp 141 (since there are no 1:1 matches for gp 42) and that is why there are two separate ORFs.
I know that we cannot call a frameshift, but what should we do in terms of functional annotation? I am leaning towards calling gp141 as NKF and GP 142 as ADP-ribosyltransferase.
I have attached the HHPRED hit for the ADP-ribosyltransferase hit.
| posted 28 Jun, 2023 20:17
Hi Marie,
I agree,141 is Hypothetical Protein for now and you can assign ADP-ribosyltransferase to 142. interesting, GeneMark seems to include the preceding gene in a frameshift like thing….. (not that we are calling any of that…smile

Thanks for including the data.
debbie

Login to post a reply.