SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

2X smeg top agar

| posted 19 Sep, 2022 18:56
Hi! Is there is a reason the smeg top agar is prepared at 2X, and then diluted to 1X? I'm wondering if I can prepare it as a 1L volume, autoclave, and then aliquot into smaller bottles (as with the PYCa top agar). We are phage-hunting with smeg for the first time this semester. Thanks!
Liz
| posted 21 Sep, 2022 17:09
edoddmoh@uottawa.ca
Hi! Is there is a reason the smeg top agar is prepared at 2X, and then diluted to 1X? I'm wondering if I can prepare it as a 1L volume, autoclave, and then aliquot into smaller bottles (as with the PYCa top agar). We are phage-hunting with smeg for the first time this semester. Thanks!
Liz

Hi Liz,

Part of the reason top agar is prepared at 2x is so that experiemnts that require the use or large samples of phage (in buffer) do not overly dilute the nutrient in the medium. For our general PHAGES protocols, you should be fine preparing top agar at 1x. 7H9 medium has lots of salts in it, and calcium chloride tends to precipitate out over time. For this reason, calcium chloride is only added before use. Even if you prepare 1x top agar, you might want to only add calcium chloride before use. If you do add it early, please let us know how long it takes for the precipitates to form so that we can share with others.

Vic

Login to post a reply.