SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

MuF/Minor Tail with Intein Domain?

| posted 19 Apr, 2022 18:51
Hi all, we are annotating ViaConlectus and we found an interesting gene at gp16. We have found that this gene has a MuF-like domain and most other phages call it that- we saw on the boards and the function list that this is no longer an allowed function, so we won't go with MuF in this case. However, we also have strong HHPRED hits to a minor capsid protein. Of note is that this gene clearly has a Hedgehog intein domain as well. We are considering calling it "minor capsid protein with intein domain", does this sound like a reasonable call?
| posted 19 Apr, 2022 19:24
Hi! Did you protein also hit HK97 gp10? If so, the folks that studied that phage for decades could not assign a function to it.
Does it also hit minor tail or any kind of tail proteins? So, for me, it is hard to know if it is part of the head or the tail.
In addition, our friends at the University of Connecticut have been doing cryo-EM and in at least one phage with that protein, and they have detected no evidence of it in the capsid structure.
then if you read the literature, MuF-like domains are associated with toxin/anti-toxin systems, so maybe it is not structural at all.
So for me, Hypothetical Protein sounds like the best fit for now.
Let me know what you think!
debbie

Login to post a reply.