SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

minor fix for approved terms

| posted 23 Dec, 2021 20:41
We have a streptomyces phage which does not have the typical Lysin A/B pair, we have found one protein that hits quite well by HHPRED to an N-acetylmuramoyl-L-alanine amidase (crystal 6SSC with 99.5% probability, and 100% coverage of the crystal and ~66% coverage of the phage protein). Looking at the approved list in the notes column for lysin A, N-acetylmuramoyl-L-alanine amidase domain it says:

if not a Mycobacteriophage, must have a lysin B, otherwise
it is endolysin, N-acetylmuramoyl-L-alanine amidase domain

However the term "endolysin, N-acetylmuramoyl-L-alanine amidase domain" is not officially an approved term (i.e. not listed in column A). I mention this only to request "endolysin, N-acetylmuramoyl-L-alanine amidase domain" be added to the list so it gets updated on pecaan.
Edited 23 Dec, 2021 20:43
| posted 23 Dec, 2021 20:49
Chris,
I added this, but I have a question. Are there 2 endolysin genes in this genome? Lysin genes are notorious for not having all domains match existing domains in the databases that we use. By that I mean, we can call a lysin A because ONE of the domains hit previously studied endolysins. so in the case of the gene you are interested in, is it possible that the 34% not covered is the missing protease domain? so the gene is a whole endolysin and not a gene broken into 2 pieces? I would recommend that we call the gene an endolysin if no protease domain is identified.

Does that make sense?

Would you also provide the genome/gene number to list it is an example int he function list.
Thanks,
debbie
Edited 23 Dec, 2021 20:50
| posted 26 Dec, 2021 19:42
All good questions. We have not finished the analysis on these proteins yet, so I am not sure what the final annotation on these proteins should be. I just noted the implied missing term from the note and so posted the above request. I will get back with more details once I work with the student.

This phage is not yet in phagesdb. In case you want to take a look, see PECAAN phage stanimal, gene that end at 22299 is the one discussed above and has the really good hit to the amidase domain; while the other gene which might also be annotated "endolysin" (based on membership in pham 93752) ends at 16907.
| posted 27 Dec, 2021 20:35
Ah, so you will have 2 different genes for the domains. Great!
debbie

Login to post a reply.