SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Phage Comparative Genomics Lab Manual - QUBES Resource

| posted 30 Aug, 2021 21:25
Hi everyone,

The comparative genomics lab manual we created at UCLA is now officially a QUBES resource. You can access the lab manual there as well as teaching/implementation notes.

https://qubeshub.org/publications/2745/1

Happy analyses,
Amanda
| posted 08 Sep, 2021 15:09
Amanda,

This is really helpful! Thank you for sharing very much!

Kyle

Kyle MacLea
Associate Professor, University of New Hampshire at Manchester
kyle.maclea@unh.edu +1 603-641-4129
| posted 08 Sep, 2021 17:07
You are so welcome, Kyle! Let me know if you have any feedback, suggestions, or questions.
| posted 27 Feb, 2024 15:59
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to compare genomes that are even on number of genes read on the forward and reverse orientation, with genomes that are mostly read on the forward orientation. Can I use QUBES for this? Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Martha
| posted 28 Feb, 2024 18:10
Yes If you are using a Dot plot tool to compare genomes and it checks both strands you are good. In your case, if you have large sections of one genome that are inverted in another genome(an thus on the other strand) this will be seen in the dot plot as long diagonal lines that change the slope from positive to negative.

However, the protocols as posted on QUBES uses Gepard (which is really fast) but it only compares the top strand of each sequence. So to look for similarity when you suspect one sequence is inverted, you would need to compare the reverse complement of one of the phage to the normal strand sequence of the other.

Other programs like NCBI BLASTN compare both strands (use the "compare two sequences" check box). BLASTn can be quite a bit slower (when dealing with multiple phage sequences, and may fail totally if your sequences are too long), but it you want to look for large scale similarity and you are not sure which strand to look, BLASTn will probably do better. I would do an initial assessment with BLAST on a single genome vs single genome and once I knew which strands to compare I could do the final comparisons in Gepard.
Edited 28 Feb, 2024 22:48
| posted 28 Feb, 2024 23:12
Thanks for the feedback, cdshaffer!

Login to post a reply.