SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Tape measure in K1 phage

| posted 12 Jan, 2021 20:13
While annotating K1 phage Jarvi recently, I came upon the longest gene which I automatically assumed would be tape measure (after tail assembly chaperone genes). However, upon looking at the PhagesDB data, a number of similar K1 phage are now calling this longest gene a minor tail protein (such as BarrelRoll and ActinUp) and they do not have a tape measure. Is there a reason for this switch? (was wondering if I missed a paper somewhere… )
Edited 12 Jan, 2021 20:13
| posted 12 Jan, 2021 20:34
Andrea,
That is just incorrect. Gene 21 in ActinUp is the tape measure.
debbie
| posted 12 Jan, 2021 21:10
Thanks, Debbie, for the quick response and confirmation. Several phage genes then in that pfam (38675) are incorrect on phagesdb, as several are listed as minor tail proteins.

Login to post a reply.