SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

BE1 tRNAs

| posted 24 May, 2019 18:04
I am checking a BE1 submission, which have 40+ tRNAs. I noticed, as I go though them that I would not have accepted all of these. I've already found four with acceptor stems of 5 bp, 6 bp, and 8 bp, and a couple with very low scores (10 and 14), but that are present in other BE1 phages.

Before I deleted them, I wanted to make sure there was no reason these were in there outside the guidlines.

Thanks!

Steve
Edited 24 May, 2019 18:08
| posted 24 May, 2019 21:03
Steve,

I would just note that any tRNA calls for most of the BE1 phages already in GenBank were called using the rules AS THEY EXISTED AT THE TIME of their annotation. That could be part of the discrepancy.

Keep in mind that some rules also overrule other rules, so that could also be part of the difference.

Lee
| posted 24 May, 2019 21:12
Ah. Thanks. That helps.

Steve
Edited 24 May, 2019 21:13
| posted 24 May, 2019 21:16
These are big phages.

S.
| posted 26 May, 2019 19:47
Steven Caruso
These are big phages.

S.

Yep! At least the large terminal repeats actually bring the total down a little bit (since both ends should be identical, you only have to annotate one end and then just match the other one), but still large. And the massive number of tRNA's increases the workload too.

Lee

Login to post a reply.