SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Individual software components for Ubuntu users

| posted 11 Dec, 2015 16:11
Out of curiosity, is there a repository and software list somewhere I can install manually so I don't need to run an Ubuntu virtual machine on Ubuntu?
| posted 15 Dec, 2015 15:14
Hello Anthony,

This file has the instructions for the manual installation of Phamerator. We have done this before, and it worked fine.

Best,
-Nick
| posted 16 Dec, 2015 17:53
Nick,

Thanks for the link. I managed to find these instructions eventually, I probably should have posted that. I'm not sure if starterator is used in the seaphages laboratory but since it was on the VM I went ahead and installed that as well. It should probably be mentioned that some of the code does not necessarily play well with newer versions of some python packages. I submitted a patch for a few updates to get it to run on the latest Ubuntu with latests packages. (There are other bugs, but not related to my environment based on forum posts.)

It might be worthwhile to publish the python and package versions so these tools can be run in a virtual environment. In addition, which of the tools (DNA Master, Phamerator, Newbler/454 assembler, Consed, AceUtil, Starterator) are actually used in the seaphages lab would be helpful information.

Login to post a reply.