SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

fushigi_draft 52 homing endonuclease + primase

| posted 18 Jun, 2018 02:55
Not sure exactly how to annotate this gene from fushigi (37,851-36310 rev)
most A1 phage in this region have the two DNA primase genes with the large overlap, however in fushigi and a few others there is a single large gene of 513 amino acids:

The first 128 amino acids have an HHPRED hit (98.8%)to DNA primase [PDB 5VAZ]
amino acids 113 - 424 have HHPREd hit to INTEIN-ENCODED HOMING ENDONUCLEASE (99.9%) {PDB 1DQ3]
and finally amino acids 414 - 513 also HHPRED (98.6%) the same DNA primase [PDB 5VAZ]

most of the annotations in this pham are just DNA primase, one protein Turj99 gp53 is annotated (intein-containing topoisomerase primase).

Clearly this is an intein within a primase, just not sure how best to annotate.
| posted 18 Jun, 2018 12:12
Cool! I wonder if we can use this one to figure out the boundaries of the others?

I think DNA primase with intein is appropriate here.
| posted 18 Jun, 2018 15:17
I thought the same thing but no luck. The intein is entirely within the second (in order of transcription) gene and the upstream gene appears to no longer be expressed.

Login to post a reply.