SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Corrupted files for merge

| posted 04 Apr, 2018 19:43
I am merging student files and it looks like two of those files are corrupted. I had students re-parse and save the files and they're still corrupted.

Any ideas of how to fix these files? Thanks!
| posted 05 Apr, 2018 12:15
Hi Miriam,
There is a document on the Faculty Information page in the Bioinformatics section that describes how to fix a corrupted file:
http://seaphages.org/media/docs/How_to_fix_corrupted_files_wp_2016.pdf

| posted 05 Apr, 2018 19:40
Thanks Welkin!
| posted 09 Apr, 2018 19:38
Hi again Welkin!

One set of annotations in my merged file shows up incomplete, cut off in the same spot for all genes:
Notes from 3rd TRY.Francis47.Louisa Gille.dnam5 :
Original Glimmer call @bp 39056 has strength 13.75
SSC: 37338-39056 CP: yes SCS: both Gap: 3 bp gap Blast:
I unpacked and repacked (no files missing but the archive had more files than the example so I removed the extras) and asked student to re-enter the notes into a new blasted file, and neither of these things worked. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Miriam
| posted 16 Apr, 2018 18:29
Update: the DNA Master file looks fine when my student opens it on her computer. However, when she sends it to me and I open it, I see incomplete notes. We tried merging the files on her computer in case sharing/sending the file was the issue, but her annotations on the merged file were still incomplete, even though the original file looks fine when she opens it on her computer. Ideas?

I have students keep copies of their gene calls on a separate Word file along with the evidence they used for the calls, and my student sent that to the students who are looking over the merged files. That way, they can make a decision on the gene calls even if her notes are on a Word document instead of DNA Master. So, we are working around the issue but I'd like to know if there's any way to fix the file. Thanks again!

Miriam

Miriam Segura-Totten
Hi again Welkin!

One set of annotations in my merged file shows up incomplete, cut off in the same spot for all genes:
Notes from 3rd TRY.Francis47.Louisa Gille.dnam5 :
Original Glimmer call @bp 39056 has strength 13.75
SSC: 37338-39056 CP: yes SCS: both Gap: 3 bp gap Blast:
I unpacked and repacked (no files missing but the archive had more files than the example so I removed the extras) and asked student to re-enter the notes into a new blasted file, and neither of these things worked. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Miriam
| posted 17 Apr, 2018 12:39
That is a new one to me.
I would recreate the documentation of the bad file and save it into a text file. Then I would make a whole new .dnam5 file by importing the sequence etc. Instead of autoannotating, copy the documentation from the text file into the documentation tab and then parse it.
Save the whole thing with a new name.
Hopefully that will work…
| posted 17 Apr, 2018 13:08
Thanks!smile

Login to post a reply.