SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

HHPred Question - Concern

| posted 27 Mar, 2018 15:19
There does not appear to be a forum section for HHPred topics. So I am placing this here for now.

QUESTION-CONCERN: When we began the process this semester there were two SCOP databases available. Currently, there is only one SCOP database (e70_207) available. The other is no longer available in the selection list.

So as we are reconfirming all our HHPred data notes, we are finding that the data found originally is no longer available. (Unfortunately, we are apparently also outside the 30 day window where HHPred retains the analysis. Therefore none of the previous query results are available on the website either.)

Last year we had students saving each HHPred report as a PDF file on a shared drive. We decided to not do this in the current semester because students complained that it was too time consuming. But now since we no longer have access to the database, we cannot reconfirm those functions ID'd through the original HHPred analysis.

QUESTION: HOW DO YOU ALL ARCHIVE ONLINE ANALYSES SUCH AS HHPred? DO YOU?

Thanks in advance. Greg
Edited 27 Mar, 2018 15:21
| posted 27 Mar, 2018 15:23
We are using the accession numbers that we previously recorded from HHPred to reconfirm. But that too is taking a lot of extra time.
| posted 10 May, 2018 18:21
Hey Greg,

I found your question while I was looking for something else, but I might be helpful. We do something similar with our students, in that they maintain an electronic (GoogleDocs) annotation notebook. So for every gene they annotate in DNAMaster, they also have a more complete entry with screenshots in our shared GoogleDrive folder. So we have all the HHPred screenshots (whether it supported a function or not). It's not the complete report, but it does show the alignment/top hits and their e-values, etc.

Sorry you didn't get any suggestions earlier!
Nikki

Login to post a reply.