SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

amidotransferase domain and carboxylate amine ligase

| posted 29 Dec, 2017 18:17
Hi,
I have been reviewing the annotation of our phage Tesla in the S cluster. At the very end of the genome genes 109 and 110 both appear to be involved in nitrogen metabolism potentially. Gene 110 has hits in both the conserved domain database and hhpred to glutamine amidotransferases. The blast hits are to glucosamine -6 phosphate synthetases in the DNA Master file There are two classes of this enzyme and this is the class II which unfortunately does not have diagnostic conserved residues. It is known that these domains can be present in a wide variety of enzymes and are usually only a part of the whole enzyme. In this case the first 100 amino acids of the predicted polypeptide shows this domain in the CDD figure. I would like to propose a function that is glutamine amidotransferase domain for this polypeptide.

gene 109 has hits in Blast seen in the DNA master file to amidoligases from Mycobacterial species, and the HHpred result hits to a protein called YbdK from both Salmonella and E. coli. YbdK is an enzyme that is involved in glutathione biosynthesis and attaches the nitrogen from glutamine to cysteine. In the absence of wet bench evidence for the role in glutathione biosynthesis, I think it is still possible to indicate this enzyme is involved in transferring amido groups.
Edited 29 Dec, 2017 18:51
| posted 30 Dec, 2017 11:20
sounds good!

I added amidoligase and glutamine amidotransferase domain to the list, as that is what you called them in the post. Do you think it should be amidotransferase domain and carboxylate amine ligase, as you wrote in the title of the post? which is the most accurate without being overly specific?
Edited 30 Dec, 2017 11:24
| posted 30 Dec, 2017 17:43
Welkin,
I thinke the carboxylate amine ligase is a better choice for the reason you mentioned.

Best,

Dave

Login to post a reply.