SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

FTP Error on Windows 10 Pro

| posted 17 Aug, 2017 12:54
Hi,

I would like to expose a problem I have with DNA Master : it doesn't update after installation and I got a "FTP failure" message (even when I shut down the software).

I already successfully install (and use) DNA Master on my home computer (Windows 10 home) but it doesn't work on my professionnal computer (Windows 10 pro). Initially, I believed that the internet connection from my lab that was the problem (institutional firewall or this kind of stuff) and I tried to install DNA Master connecting my pro computer to my home network… nothing good happened.

I asked to a colleague to install DNA Master but he wasn't able to succeed. Even if I tell him to install and run the software in administrator mode. He tried to run the software on a Windows 10 pro configuration. I think there is a specific setting I need to modify on Windows 10 pro but I don't know where…

Did it happen to somebody here ? Do you have a clue which could resolve my problem ?

Regards,

Thomas
Thomas Guiraud from Bordeaux Sciences Agro (France).
| posted 17 Aug, 2017 14:22
Thomas,

The server that stores DNAMaster and does updates has been offline due to some reconstruction at the university where it is housed. Others might be able to tell you when this might be fixed.

Dave
| posted 17 Aug, 2017 14:45
OK but I must add that (i) the problem persists since approximately one month and (ii) that I succeed to install and use DNA Master on my windows-10-home computer whereas I unsuccessfully tried to install DNA Master on my Windows-10-pro computer (approximately at the same moment i.e. the same day and then, the day after).

I observed that the cobamide2.bio.pitt.edu website was sometimes unavailable but it's not the case right now or when I vainly tried to install DNA Master.

I'm afraid it's a more vicious problem… maybe a tiny setting parameter specific from the Dell constructor or a an opt-out windows pro parameter we don't have to bother on windows home.

For now, I used to treat my viral genomes at home and then to operate some softwares which can only works on my professionnal computer (another problem but not related to DNA Master… ). I can continue like this but it's quite unsatisfactory.
Thomas Guiraud from Bordeaux Sciences Agro (France).
Edited 17 Aug, 2017 14:45
| posted 17 Aug, 2017 16:00
I just tried to run the update on my Windows 7 machine and it worked fine, so yes the ftp server appears to be up so that is not the issue. Sorry but not a Win 10 expert but I think you are right is is some kind of setting on the pro version, likely for heightened security
| posted 20 Jul, 2021 13:57
I am also having the same issue.Unable to open port 21 for FTP.
Edited 20 Jul, 2021 13:58
| posted 20 Jul, 2021 14:07
Hi. I think that this forum post will help.
https://seaphages.org/forums/post/8693/
Let me know,
debbie

Login to post a reply.