SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Messages for Cabrini College

| posted 23 May, 2016 23:53
David Dunbar of Cabrini College passed away on Saturday, May 21st. He will be deeply missed. You may leave a message here for the community at Cabrini College.

Below is a note from the Provost of Cabrini College:

We continue to mourn the loss of our friend, colleague and mentor, David Dunbar, while at the same time celebrating the passionate life that he lived every day. We ask that you continue to pray for David’s family, especially his children: Megan, Kyle, and Eric.

Two events have been planned to honor and remember David:

1) Friday, June 3rd at 4:00 p.m: A memorial service will be held at Cabrini College on the campus commons (weather permitting). In case of rain, we will move into the Grace Hall Atrium. A reception will be held in the Iadarola Center immediately following. All are invited to attend.

2) Saturday, June 18th at 3:00 p.m: The Dunbar family invites all to a memorial service at their house in Palmerton, Pennsylvania. The address for this service is:
Mel and Linda Dunbar
90 Kennetta Lane
Palmerton, PA 18071
Cabrini College will arrange some transportation for Cabrini students, alumni, faculty and staff. (Details will be sent out soon).

In order to help estimate attendance numbers at both events (and for transportation), we ask that you respond by emailing rsvp@cabrini.edu Wednesday, June 1. Please indicate which service(s) you will be attending, the number of attendees and, if attending the service in Palmerton, please indicate if you will need transportation.

However, if you are not able to rsvp, please feel free to attend either event.

We are collecting condolences for David’s children at Cabrini College. Please send cards to:
Office of the Provost
Cabrini College
610 King of Prussia Road
Radnor, PA 19087

For those wishing to donate a gift in David’s honor, three options have been suggested (although you may also donate to any organization that you feel honors David’s memory):

1) David Dunbar Fund for Undergraduate Science Research – David was a national leading advocate for undergraduate student research. Funds will be used to provide opportunities for undergraduate science students to conduct research with faculty mentors.

2) Cabrini College memorial space for David – A space will be created on Cabrini’s campus near Emmaus House (along the Eagle Road driveway) to honor David’s love for nature, ecology and education.

These first two donations can be sent directly to the Cabrini College Office of Institutional Advancement, 610 King of Prussia Road, Radnor, PA 19087. Please make checks payable to Cabrini College and, if you have a preference, designate which fund.

3) Valley Forge Trout Unlimited: http://www.valleyforgetu.org . This is the 501c(3) organization of the Valley Creek Restoration Partnership. David’s love for fly fishing was legendary. Donations can be sent to Valley Forge Trout Unlimited, c/o Frank Donohoe, 17 Amy Lane, Malvern, PA 19355.

Thank you to everyone for the love and care you have shown to David’s family and to each other. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at jgingerich@cabrini.edu.

Jeff Gingerich
Provost & Vice-President for Academic Affairs
Cabrini College
Edited 28 May, 2016 17:05
| posted 24 May, 2016 15:25
David's death is very sad news; it upsets me deeply. David loved science and people. I laughed so many times with him. I can't imagine how much he will be missed by family, friends and colleagues, to whom I extend my sincere sympathy.
| posted 24 May, 2016 15:36
I will always remember David for his extraordinary sense of humor and his infectious joy of living. What an irreplaceable loss!
| posted 24 May, 2016 15:59
David was a great friend to all of us here at SJU, and we are filled with sadness. It is a tremendous loss for Cabrini College and for all of the science communities that knew him well. His passion for science will be sorely missed. Our deepest sympathies to his family.
| posted 24 May, 2016 16:02
What a tragic accident. David will be missed, and I will miss the excitement and energy he brought with him to each new challenge.
Edited 24 May, 2016 16:02
| posted 24 May, 2016 16:06
David's enthusiasm and energy for science were inspirational. His innovation in student research will continue to serve as a model for biology educators. Sincere condolences to his family and colleagues.
| posted 24 May, 2016 16:50
I will always remember David's infectious smile and the sincere joy and excitement he brought to our discussions of science and learning. He will be sorely missed. My thoughts go out to his colleagues, friends, and family.
| posted 24 May, 2016 17:35
The news of David's passing remains an enormous shock to us all. Many of you might not know that David was one of my Ph.D. students in the molecular biology program here at Lehigh. In the midst of this tragedy, I am reminded of the energy and enthusiasm he added to any discussion. What he shared with all of us in the SEA community has been his hallmark since the first day I met him years ago. We will miss this kind man, this fly-fisherman, this Polar plunger, this SEA-PHAGE enthusiast, and dear friend. My sincere condolences are extended to his family, the entire Cabrini community, and beyond. His reach was indeed far.
| posted 24 May, 2016 17:40
Vassie you said it all. I will remember David as one of the most ENTHUSIASTIC people about science, phages, and life in general, that I have ever met. His sheer joy about learning, researching and teaching touched so many people and will always be with me.
| posted 24 May, 2016 17:48
I was shocked and deeply saddened by this tragic news. David brought an unparalleled enthusiasm to the SEA program. Sincerest sympathies to his family and his colleagues at Cabrini.

Login to post a reply.