SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

A Message from David Asai

| posted 11 Jan, 2024 23:31
Below is a message from David Asai to the SEA community

I want to take a moment to share with you some personal news. I am retiring from HHMI today. For more than 15 years, it has been my privilege to be part of an amazing team committed to improving science education. I am pleased that the good work continues with renewed focus as part of the HHMI Center for the Advancement of Science Leadership and Culture (www.hhmi.org/equitable-science). HHMI’s Science Education Alliance has the immodest goal of revolutionizing the way science is learned. We look to a future when all students – regardless of where they come from and where they are going – learn science in an environment in which they feel that they belong and provides them the resources to be successful. You have much of which to be proud. When the SEA was launched in 2008, we were 12 colleges and universities. Today, there are more than 160 active member schools where 5,500+ students and 600+ faculty annually engage in discovery-based learning. More impressive and important than the numbers is that SEA students from all backgrounds and all institution types score significantly higher than students in traditional laboratory courses in the indicators of belonging and persistence in science. There are two keys to our success, the science and you. We prioritize the high quality of the science, and you commit to being part of an active community of practice devoted to student learning. My sincere gratitude to all of you for your deep commitment and hard work creating new learning opportunities for our students. Thank you to the SEA team – Billy Biederman, Kaylia Edwards, Danielle Heller, Pushpa Ramakrishna, Vic Sivanathan, and Bethany Wise. I am eager to see what you all accomplish together.

Happy new year and Aloha. David Asai david.asai@outlook.com
Edited 11 Jan, 2024 23:32
| posted 12 Jan, 2024 15:52
Thank you David for your long service to HHMI and the SEA! We are truly grateful for your work!

Kyle MacLea
Associate Professor, University of New Hampshire at Manchester
kyle.maclea@unh.edu +1 603-641-4129
| posted 12 Jan, 2024 16:43
Feliz "jubilacion" David!!!
Thank you for your leadership.
Fernando
| posted 12 Jan, 2024 17:15
Dear David,

There is not a word big enough yet in languages I know to account for the impact you have had on the Science Education community and me. I thank you for all the inspiration and advice you provided that powered us forward with this work. I wish you all the peace and adventure you can handle. Just one question remains - what do I do with all the Hawaiian shirts I ordered over the holidays?

Best regards,
Vassie

Vassie Ware
Professor, Molecular Biology
Lehigh University
Bethlehem, PA
vcw0@lehigh.edu
| posted 12 Jan, 2024 18:30
Dear David,

I am truly grateful for everything. The amazing impact you have had on both myself and HHMI is beyond measure!

Best,
Sarah
Sarah J. Swerdlow
Assistant Professor
University of Pitt, Greensburg
sjs308@pitt.edu
| posted 12 Jan, 2024 20:59
Thank-you, David, for all that you have given to us, to the program, and to the students. Congratulations on your much-earned retirement! You will be missed, but your legacy will live on.

Congratulations!
Nikki Sunnen
Associate Prof of Practice
Saint Joseph's University
(and formerly University of the Sciences)
csunnen@sju.edu

smile
| posted 12 Jan, 2024 21:09
Congratulations on your retirement, David! It has been wonderful to have the opportunity to interact with you as the SEA has grown. Thank you for all you have done to help make this possible.

All the best,
Lee Hughes
| posted 13 Jan, 2024 20:08
Vassie, I was thinking the same thing about the shirts!

David, thank you for all the inspiring messages and leadership. I will miss seeing you, but I wish you the very best!
Tammy
vcw0
Dear David,

There is not a word big enough yet in languages I know to account for the impact you have had on the Science Education community and me. I thank you for all the inspiration and advice you provided that powered us forward with this work. I wish you all the peace and adventure you can handle. Just one question remains - what do I do with all the Hawaiian shirts I ordered over the holidays?

Best regards,
Vassie

Vassie Ware
Professor, Molecular Biology
Lehigh University
Bethlehem, PA
vcw0@lehigh.edu
| posted 17 Jan, 2024 07:42
Dear David, I cannot even begin to express how grateful we all are for your leadership and vision. It has been a privilege and joy to work with you over the past 15 years. May you have fair winds and following seas in whatever your next adventure may be! Margaret Saha

Login to post a reply.