SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

DNA Master not updating

| posted 23 Jun, 2023 18:47
Greetings, all,
Is anyone else having trouble updating DNA Master? We get an error message when we attempt to update. I've attached a screenshot. We've tried computers on campus and off campus, laptops and desk tops, and nothing is working. The update reaches 33%, and then DNA Master either freezes, or we get an FTP error. It appears that DNA Master is having difficulty connecting to the server. Any advice to solve this problem would be appreciated and thanks in advance!
| posted 28 Jun, 2023 20:06
Not updating for me either. No news since this discussion:
https://seaphages.org/forums/topic/5558/
| posted 29 Jun, 2023 01:49
Hi all,
Still working on it. Likely will not be available until the week of July 9. if you are a SEA-PHAGES faculty member and if you have an URGENT needed for a very tricky workaround, contact Kristen Butela KAB340@pitt.edu.

There are no new updates to DNA Master (last build is 2705, but even 2701 will work), so they can ignore update errors. Their programs will work just fine without any need to update for the time being. If people are just getting the update error on existing installs, then they should just turn off automatic updates for now.
Only faculty who need a fresh installation need to contact Kristen for a manual update.
debbie
Edited 29 Jun, 2023 02:12
| posted 11 Jul, 2023 03:01
Any updates on this Debbie? Our IT department upgraded my system, so I'm starting fresh with a new download and am getting the same errors as above (FTP failure). No rush - my only goal is to R2I this summer.
Thanks!
Liz
| posted 11 Jul, 2023 18:15
Liz,
i just inquired today. It is still not available.
debbie
| posted 11 Aug, 2023 00:09
I just installed DNA Master on my new personal computer and the 5.22.5 version was loaded. I tried to update and am receiving the FTP error. Should I contact Kristen? I am just finishing up a genome and can try using a different computer but I am hoping to resolve this issue on my new computer (Windows 11).
| posted 11 Aug, 2023 14:14
For the time being, all new installations of DNA Master need to follow the instructions on this forum post in order to manually update: https://seaphages.org/forums/topic/5577/. You'll find all of the download links in that post. Since you've already been successful in installing DNA Master, you can skip ahead to the step "Locate the DNA Master folder where you installed the program; have it open in a finder window" and go from there.
Good luck! If you have any questions on the new installation/update process, please post them on the linked forum post so everyone who may need help in the future can follow the questions and solutions in one place. I'm monitoring that forum more closely and can respond a little quicker if people need help.

clfleischacker
I just installed DNA Master on my new personal computer and the 5.22.5 version was loaded. I tried to update and am receiving the FTP error. Should I contact Kristen? I am just finishing up a genome and can try using a different computer but I am hoping to resolve this issue on my new computer (Windows 11).
| posted 12 Aug, 2023 00:24
Worked well, thanks for the help.
| posted 02 Jan, 2024 22:14
As of 1/2/2024, the DNA Master server is online. You can use the original installation protocols in the Bioinformatics Guide.
| posted 02 Jan, 2024 22:56
kbutela
As of 1/2/2024, the DNA Master server is online. You can use the original installation protocols in the Bioinformatics Guide.

At this moment I am trying a new fresh download on my work PC laptop computer where it has worked before. I followed the Installation guide from phagesdb and it will not upload to the 6 June 2021 version and am still getting "FTP Error" and "Field Error" and then the error about "NCBI Blast, etc".

I can not figure out where the issue is.

Additionally, my person PC laptop, which has a well working October 2021 version, says this version is up today when I go to update.

Do I need to do the manual workarounds spoken above?

Thanks,
Alison
Edited 02 Jan, 2024 23:24

Login to post a reply.