SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

EA4 gene 4

| posted 06 Mar, 2023 16:57
We are looking at two EA4 phages that have what is called by others as a MuF-like minor capsid protein, minor capsid protein, capsid maturation protease, or a hypothetical protein. We are looking for some guidance, but right now, I am leaning toward hypothetical protein.
| posted 06 Mar, 2023 17:22
DrCatalase
We are looking at two EA4 phages that have what is called by others as a MuF-like minor capsid protein, minor capsid protein, capsid maturation protease, or a hypothetical protein. We are looking for some guidance, but right now, I am leaning toward hypothetical protein.
I didn't see any similarity by amino acid comparison with the reference minor capsid protein and capsid maturation protease gene products.
| posted 06 Mar, 2023 18:56
Hi! there is some confusing that can be easily remedied.
Syntenically, this gene is positioned to be the capsid maturation protease (CMP).

"The herpesviruses and many phages utilize a maturation protease that acts in this transition from prohead to head, and the main function of the capsid protease is to degrade the parts of the prohead that are required for prohead assembly, but must be removed to complete maturation."
So if we can find it, we want this gene's protein to have some protease function.

The HHPred results hit minor head protein of SPP1, putative capsid assembly protein (likely another way of saying CMP), Phage Mu protein F like - which as per our approved function list is not anything we will call), and gp15 of D29 - which is D29's capsid maturation protease.

Note that all of these are based on inferred calls. I am going to agree with the work of Hatfull and Hendrix, that they were satisfied to call this gene of D29 and L5 a capsid maturation protease some 30 years ago.

I would assign this gene protein the function - capsid maturation protease.

Best,
debbie
| posted 06 Mar, 2023 19:13
debbie
Hi! there is some confusing that can be easily remedied.
Syntenically, this gene is positioned to be the capsid maturation protease (CMP).

"The herpesviruses and many phages utilize a maturation protease that acts in this transition from prohead to head, and the main function of the capsid protease is to degrade the parts of the prohead that are required for prohead assembly, but must be removed to complete maturation."
So if we can find it, we want this gene's protein to have some protease function.

The HHPred results hit minor head protein of SPP1, putative capsid assembly protein (likely another way of saying CMP), Phage Mu protein F like - which as per our approved function list is not anything we will call), and gp15 of D29 - which is D29's capsid maturation protease.

Note that all of these are based on inferred calls. I am going to agree with the work of Hatfull and Hendrix, that they were satisfied to call this gene of D29 and L5 a capsid maturation protease some 30 years ago.

I would assign this gene protein the function - capsid maturation protease.

Best,
debbie

Thank you. I was confused when I compared it to the capsid maturation protease amino acid sequence from Langerak_gp4 (from the official function list) and got no significant alignment, so it worried me.
Sean

Login to post a reply.