SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Patch Assay Help

| posted 15 Feb, 2022 16:15
Good morning. I have question concerning the patch assay. Each time I have performed the patch assay, there is growth on where the potential lysogen should be. Instead of having clearing on where my potential lysogen should be, I keep having growth. I am not sure what to do next. I have been following the protocol stated on 11.2 of the phage discovery guide.
| posted 15 Feb, 2022 16:27
Hi! You should have bacterial growth! But if it is a lysogen, that bacterial growth should be releasing phage, so around the bacteria streak you will see a zone of lysis. You can see a tiny zone of lysis around A and D. But it is not easy to tell. What phage are you working with?
debbie
| posted 15 Feb, 2022 17:58
The bacteria that I am using in the research is Arthobacter golbiformis, and the lysate is called Basilisk.
| posted 15 Feb, 2022 18:18
Next step, is to test the grow a culture from a streak on WT A. globi. (I would pick D.) From that culture, you will want to make a lawn and then test the phage for infection (by plating a serial 10-fold dilution) AND spinning some of the cells down and testing (by plating a serial dilution) the supernatant on the WT A. globi.
Make senee?
debbie
| posted 15 Feb, 2022 18:32
I would just do the protocol of 11.3, right?
| posted 15 Feb, 2022 20:11
yep!

Login to post a reply.