SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Anti-foam or anti-bubble additives?

| posted 17 Sep, 2021 21:41
Hello all,

Recently we have been having more issues with bubbles in our agar plates. I have extended the "rest" time after adding CaCl2 and dextrose to allow any foam from swirling to dissipate, but still getting bubbles in my plates.

Is there an additive that works with PYCa and M. foliorum that is anti-foam or anti-bubble? Do any of you use it or have you?
| posted 20 Sep, 2021 14:44
cheryl.brown@mnstate.edu
Hello all,

Recently we have been having more issues with bubbles in our agar plates. I have extended the "rest" time after adding CaCl2 and dextrose to allow any foam from swirling to dissipate, but still getting bubbles in my plates.

Is there an additive that works with PYCa and M. foliorum that is anti-foam or anti-bubble? Do any of you use it or have you?

Hi Cheryl,

It sounds like these bubbles form when you swirl to mix calcium and dextrose into the molten agar. If this is true, then my recommendation is to swirl to mix gently. We typically have a stir bar in the bottle (added before we autovlave the media) that is set to spin slow enough to not create any bubbles. If you are swirling by hand, simply rotating or rolling the bottle on its side should be sufficient mixing. Because the media is so viscous, especially when its not piping hot, it is hard to get rid of any bubbles that form without having to reheat the media.

I hope this is helpful.

Vic
Edited 20 Sep, 2021 14:46

Login to post a reply.