SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Peptone question

| posted 04 Feb, 2021 15:13
I have another PYCa media question. Does the type of peptone you get affect the media? We have been using VWR 97064-330, but there is a non-animal, defatted soy peptone (97064-186) for less than half the price. Has anyone used this?

Does the source of the proteins matter in this application?
| posted 05 Feb, 2021 01:34
cheryl.brown@mnstate.edu
I have another PYCa media question. Does the type of peptone you get affect the media? We have been using VWR 97064-330, but there is a non-animal, defatted soy peptone (97064-186) for less than half the price. Has anyone used this?

Does the source of the proteins matter in this application?

Hi Cheryl,

This is a little tricky to answer. While peptones are generally composed of the same components (amino acids, peptides, carbs, salts, vitamins), the ratio of the components and pH of the peptone will vary based on the source material and the process used to generate the peptone. These diffrences have been shown to dramatically impact growth and the behaviour of some cell lines and bacteria but not others, so most people tend to stick with what they know to work. I'm hoping the Hatfull lab will chime in here, but I for one use the recommended peptone because I've not tested any other sources of peptones.

If you are keen to give the soy-based peptone a try, then I would advise purchasing a small batch to do some growth comparisons. If you do, I would love to know what you discover.

Vic
Edited 05 Feb, 2021 01:34
| posted 05 Feb, 2021 19:38
Will do. It’s worth a try. I will do side-by-side comparison with the two hosts we use.
Edited 05 Feb, 2021 19:38
| posted 28 Sep, 2022 18:34
Update: Microbacterium foliorum grows faster and more yellow with soy peptone in the media. No data yet on if that affects susceptibility to phages.

Login to post a reply.