SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Inducing phages from lysogeny to lytic cycle

| posted 21 Sep, 2020 17:13
Hello,

We are seeking some advice about the best protocols or practices to induce and "force" bacteriophages to switch from a lysogenic cycle to a lytic cycle for the purification and amplification steps of phage discovery. We are using Gordonia rubripertincta for our host organism this fall.

We are contemplating exposing the infected bacterial cells (right after being plated with top agar) to UV radiation for very short time periods. We recently tried growing the infected bacteria at a higher temperature than their optimal to force the phages out of lysogeny; however, that method did not work.

Any suggestions and insight are appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Edited 21 Sep, 2020 17:14
| posted 09 Oct, 2020 17:20
Sorry for the delay in this response.
I know of no fool-proof way to force induction. The literature describes UV and mitomycin C as agents. We have found that spotting one culture (or the supernatant of one) on a lawn of another will identify released phage of a prophage.
I think that is all i have for now.
debbie
| posted 10 Oct, 2020 16:26
Thank you for the reply, Debbie. The UV treatment method is working reasonably well for our lab this semester. Thank you for the suggestion about spotting one culture on the lawn of another. We'll keep that in mind for the future.

Login to post a reply.