SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Lysin B

| posted 19 May, 2017 16:32
Can't find lysin B? No worries! Cluster B2 phages do not have a lysin B!
Edited 20 Aug, 2018 15:56
| posted 17 Aug, 2017 01:44
A bunch of genes in pham 609, such as Eremos_49 and other Cluster B1 phages are labeled as Lysin B. HHPred seems to support this with hits to Cutinase. However, what I cannot find is Holin! The genes called as lysin B do have 3 transmembrane domains, so I am very confused!
| posted 17 Aug, 2017 02:53
Cluster B2s lack lysin B. I thought there was pretty good evidence of pham 609 being annotated as lysin B based on HHPred and TMM data. In this 2016 paper (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4912749/) they have Numberten and Pops (both B1s) containing both lysin A and lysin B.
| posted 17 Aug, 2017 14:31
Cluster B1s definitely have lysinB calls. As far as I can tell the Holin has not been identified in B1s. It most assuredly has one but it is not clear which gene it is.
| posted 20 Aug, 2018 15:57
Thanks guys– I left the "2" out of the starting post. You are all correct: B1s do have lysin B.

Login to post a reply.