SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Precipitation of CaCl2 in PYCA top-agar

| posted 06 Sep, 2024 21:34
Hello all,

Could "Bacto" Tryptone (pancreatic digest of casein - microbiological peptone) be used to replace the "fisher" brand peptone we are currently using for our top agar?
| posted 06 Sep, 2024 23:42
serivas
Hello all,

Could "Bacto" Tryptone (pancreatic digest of casein - microbiological peptone) be used to replace the "fisher" brand peptone we are currently using for our top agar?

It is likley that you'll be able to culture the bacteria we use for phage-hunting just as well using peptone or tryptone. However, for us to compare data from across the SEA program, I would recommend using peptone. If you use tryptone, it will be important for you to disclose this information (i.e. that you are not usingP PYCa) when contributing data to the program and when publishing elsewhere.
| posted 07 Sep, 2024 03:47
Thank you for your advice, I'll stick to peptone at least for the first semester trial. Thank you again for your timely response!

Login to post a reply.