SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Best nuclease mix?

| posted 05 Dec, 2023 18:37
Hello everyone,
I am looking purchase materials for the DNA extraction and I am a little stuck on the item "nuclease mix". Does this refer to a mix of DNase and RNase or some specific product? Which brand of either works the best in your experience?
Thanks,
Ryan
| posted 05 Dec, 2023 18:51
RyanWheeler
Hello everyone,
I am looking purchase materials for the DNA extraction and I am a little stuck on the item "nuclease mix". Does this refer to a mix of DNase and RNase or some specific product? Which brand of either works the best in your experience?
Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

The nuclease mix contains both DNaseI and RNaseA – see the recipe card in the Phage Discovery Guide, which has a recipe for every reagent that needs to be prepared. The recipe for the nuclease mix does have you prepare DNaseI and RNaseA separately, using the manufacturer's guidelines, before combining them to prepare the mix. Both the ordering guide and Fisher Quote lists an example of DNaseI and RNaseA for purchase.

We're open to trying nucleases from other sources too, especially if they are cheaper.
Edited 05 Dec, 2023 18:52

Login to post a reply.