SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Starterator version 1.1 released

| posted 02 Dec, 2016 23:08
Everyone,
I am happy to announce the release of version 1.1 of Starterator. This has several minor updates and bug fixes. It is available now from github.com/SEA-PHAGES/starterator. I have let Dan know and I expect he aleady has or will very soon the new SEA 2017 VM to this new version.
I will be collaborating with Dan to create an update script which can be run to update the Starterator currently installed on a working VM.

New features:
1. Better recognition of identical tracks which are then collapsed into a single track. Many phams now have significantly fewer tracks.
2. Tracks are now labeled with the name of the first phage on the list and indicate how many other phage are also represented in the track
3. Tracks now indicate the called start with a yellow bar if the start is Draft quality and a green bar if the start is based on published annotations
4. The report has been updated in several ways:
A. The report now indicates the start which has been most often called in the published annotations and does not consider draft quality annotations when looking for the "most annotated" start.
B. The "suggested starts" section has been depreciated as it was too often based on draft annotations which simply perpetuated the original Glimmer/Genemark calls.
C. The run date has been added to the output so that changes in the phamerator database can be easily recognized and the most recent report used for analysis.

5. Many minor bugfixes

We will post update info for those that wish to continue to use older VM's soon.
| posted 15 Dec, 2016 16:22
Awesome! Thanks Chris!
| posted 08 Jan, 2017 02:27
Hi Chris,

When I tried running a couple of phage on the v.1.1 version, I got an crash error after just a few phams (8 on one and 5 on the other). Both the phage I tried were BD1 phages (BeardedLady and Oliynyk). I switched back to the v.1.1.1Beta and everything seems to run fine.

Thoughts?

Lee
| posted 10 Jan, 2017 02:34
Curious,
It is entirely possible there is a bug in the code that I added when going to v1.1 from the that beta version. I tested my most recent version and it did not crash on beardedlady. Unfortunately I am in the middle of updating the part of starterator that generates the pdf report. I got most of the issues with the single pham reports the way I want them but I have not updated the code to handle the "all phage" reports. I have posted the most recent version of a whole phage report here:

phages.wustl.edu/BeardedLady_DraftReport.pdf

but you can see there is still a lot I need to add back into the reports before they are useful again. It does have all the graphics tracks its just missing all the summary reports on annotated starts and all that.

If you just use the graphical tracks the whole report should work, if you want all the text summary you will just have to stick with the beta version or go to phages.wustl.edu/starterator and get the pham report for each pham in the phage one by one.

| posted 10 Jan, 2017 04:17
Thanks, Chris. I think we'll be fine with the Beta version for now.

Lee

Login to post a reply.