SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

BLAST in DNAM

| posted 24 Feb, 2016 03:20
Hello,
We are trying to BLAST in DNAM and are getting an "Integer Overflow" error message. This is a new one for us. Any thoughts? This was from trying to BLAST a single gene at 7pm PST, so shouldn't be PEAK hours.
Thanks,
Jordan
| posted 24 Feb, 2016 03:24
jparker
Hello,
We are trying to BLAST in DNAM and are getting an "Integer Overflow" error message. This is a new one for us. Any thoughts? This was from trying to BLAST a single gene at 7pm PST, so shouldn't be PEAK hours.
Thanks,
Jordan

Then we got this:
Sending BLAST request…
Waiting 74278080 seconds as requested…
smile
| posted 24 Feb, 2016 04:55
I was getting the same message when blasting single genes earlier today in DNA Master. When I attempt to "blast all genes" I get an error message "Invalid floating point operation". My students and I have been working with lots of different DNA Master files over the last few months and today is the first time I experienced these types of blasting errors in DNA Master. I'm not sure what is going on but you are not alone.
| posted 24 Feb, 2016 14:39
jparker
jparker
Hello,
Thanks,
Jordan

Then we got this:
Sending BLAST request…
Waiting 74278080 seconds as requested…
smile

Hi Jordan,

You can't just wait the 2.4 years for this result? smile

Seriously, though, it looks like we're having the same issue. We'll let you know if we figure anything out.

–Dan
| posted 24 Feb, 2016 18:30
Just as a check I wrote a quick biopython script to ran a blast search using the qblast server at NCBI and it worked, at nearly the same time I tried to submit a search from DNA Master and I too am getting the same error. This would suggest that DNA Master is the issue and it is not a general problem with the NCBI qblast service. So it is possible DNA Master (from all of us) has submitted too many requests in too short a time and NCBI has blocked DNA Master (i.e. all copies everywhere) from submitting any more searches. If this is indeed the case and if I understand NCBI policy in this regard Dr. Lawrence needs to get in touch with NCBI and get DNA Master on some kind of a whitelist so we don't get blocked. Dr. Lawrence should know more about these NCBI policies.

P.S. HAHA I only have to wait 58 million seconds, apparently NCBI likes me more than you smile
Edited 24 Feb, 2016 20:30
| posted 24 Feb, 2016 18:42
Dan and Chris, thanks for the updates!
| posted 24 Feb, 2016 19:08
Thanks for the information. We are having the same problem.
| posted 24 Feb, 2016 20:35
Jeffrey Lawrence is aware of the issue and is working on it now. If he comes up with a fix and/or if there's anything to report, we'll let you know as soon as we do!

–Dan
| posted 27 Feb, 2016 22:15
Hi all. It is not a DNA Master issue, but rather an NCBI Blast error. Note when you blast, it returns an error message "integer overflow" and tells you that the wait time is a couple of years (mine said 54956368 seconds). We have been in contact with NCBI and they "are working on it". in the meantime, you can blast one gene at a time and record your results. We will keep you posted.
| posted 27 Feb, 2016 22:26
Like Jordan, I've had the problem even with single gene BLAST submissions.

S.

Login to post a reply.