SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

New File Checker for Mac

| posted 25 Jun, 2021 20:26
Does anyone have instructions for installing the new flat file checker on MacOS? I'm trying from the pdm_utils page but keep hitting a lot of roadblocks with things not working as described.
| posted 26 Jun, 2021 16:43
Hi Kristen,

Sorry the ReadTheDocs instructions don't seem to be working for you. I'll spend some time reviewing those and hopefully get it straightened out. Would be helpful to hear from you if there are steps in particular not working.

In the meantime, would you mind trying to use the instructions and resources found in the attached .zip file? Instructions are still a work in progress so if anything still needs to be clarified please let me know!

Best,

Christian
| posted 28 Jun, 2021 14:21
Hi Christian-

Thanks for this new set of instructions! Unfortunately I still get stuck fairly early in the process. When I update my bash_profile file with

nano ~/.bash_profile
export $PATH=’$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin’

I get this error message:
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin': not a valid identifier
I am unsure how to proceed. I can try to create a new bash_profile file but other than this I'm out of ideas.

UPDATE: I looked on some help forums and they suggested changing
export $PATH=’$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin’
to
export PATH=’$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin’

This seems to have solved the problem and I am proceeding with the install. I am going to edit a version of the instructions as I go.
Edited 28 Jun, 2021 14:36
| posted 28 Jun, 2021 14:33
Ugh - Sorry Kristen, Claire Rinehart pointed that one out to me already and I forgot to update the document to reflect that.

I'd be grateful for your annotated version when you're done.
| posted 28 Jun, 2021 16:45
Thanks Christian! I have the file checker running on my Mac now and I was able to successfully run it with a test genome. I have attached the original instructions file with my edits and screenshots. I encountered a few more hiccups but I was able to solve them, so I put in my workarounds and triggered error messages in the document on the steps where the problems occurred.

Login to post a reply.