SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Phage isolation in winter--any differences?

| posted 05 Feb, 2021 18:26
Dear Colleagues

We are running phage discovery in the winter for the first time. Our first go-round we have a lot of success with direct isolations out of the box. This might have been an outlier leading us astray, but over the last couple of weeks we only had one successful run with direct isolation. We have started enriched isolation but still wondering if we can do better with our direct isolation or if winter in New Hampshire is just going to be more challenging.

Anyone have thoughts?

Kyle

Kyle MacLea
Associate Professor, University of New Hampshire at Manchester
kyle.maclea@unh.edu +1 603-641-4129
| posted 05 Feb, 2021 18:27
Added: We started with A. globiformis and had no luck, and tried again with M. foliorum and also had no luck.

Kyle MacLea
| posted 08 Feb, 2021 01:21
kmaclea
Dear Colleagues

We are running phage discovery in the winter for the first time. Our first go-round we have a lot of success with direct isolations out of the box. This might have been an outlier leading us astray, but over the last couple of weeks we only had one successful run with direct isolation. We have started enriched isolation but still wondering if we can do better with our direct isolation or if winter in New Hampshire is just going to be more challenging.

Anyone have thoughts?

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

From what I can tell based on findings from across the SEA, the success rate for direct isolation is generally low and inconsistent (unless you keep going back to the same/similar spot). I'll let faculty from the northern reaches of the country share their advice, but I know several who gather soil early (before the ground freezes, and store them in sealed ziplocks at 4C) or use soil from indoor pots. I personally have had success with both methods when isolating phage for M. foliorum, but only by enriched isolation.

Good luck!
| posted 09 Feb, 2021 16:10
Thank you for that, Vic! I've got my fingers crossed for the enriched right now, we should know how our first run went soon.

I had avoided getting soil before the frost since the guide had suggested fresh was best. I did get a good direct isolation from a place we isolated from last year so I do think your words about going back to the same spot could be prescient.

Regardless–thank you! Hopefully some good success soon. Thanks!

Kyle

Kyle MacLea

Login to post a reply.