SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Key Violation

| posted 07 Nov, 2020 18:50
To fix a "Key Violation" error, this should work:

Make yourself a backup directory on your desktop (name it something like
OldRecentFiles)
Then browse to C:/ProgramFiles/DNA Master/DMDB

There will be a bunch of files in there that all start with "RecentFile"

Move all of those into the new backup directory on your Desktop just in
case.

Then restart DNA Master. It will say that it can't find the RecentFile DB
files, and will download new copies of them (this should happen
automatically). If not, click the button marked "Download from FTP site" at
the upper right hand corner of the table that pops up. You can then discard the files that you moved out.
| posted 26 May, 2021 15:50
How does this advice apply to a mac running wine? I am getting the "key violation" error. Can I still produce GenBank and Phamerator files for submission with this error?
Beckie Bortz
| posted 26 May, 2021 16:28
I found the files but the problem is not resolved. (In Applications, right click on DNAMaster icon and select "show package contents". Click on "contents" then "resouurces" then "wineprefix" folder then "drive_c" then "program files" then "DNAMaster" then "DMDB".)

I moved all "recent" files to a new folder and deleted them from the DMDB folder and restarted DNA Master. DNA master can open an archived file, but it is still giving the same "key violation" error and I do not see that the "recent" files have been restored nor am I getting popup table with the prompt to download from FTP.

I'm going to try restarting my machine.
Beckie Bortz
| posted 26 May, 2021 16:43
No change after restart. Still key violation error, "recent" files still missing, no msg that it can't find recentfile DB, no prompt for FTP.
Beckie Bortz
| posted 27 May, 2021 00:16
Becky,
I asked around because I don't use Wine.
Tammy Adair (at Baylor) offered this:
"As far as I can tell we cannot use wine on any systems past Catalina . Most of my Mac students used a virtual machine set up that our IT department provided. The IT guy that I have been working with for the past 10 years does not see a fix.".
| posted 27 May, 2021 02:10
debbie
Becky,
I asked around because I don't use Wine.
Tammy Adair (at Baylor) offered this:
"As far as I can tell we cannot use wine on any systems past Catalina . Most of my Mac students used a virtual machine set up that our IT department provided. The IT guy that I have been working with for the past 10 years does not see a fix.".

This is what I was told-
DNAMaster itself is a 32-bit program, as is wine in any stable form (even if there were a stable 64-bit wine it wouldn’t matter as long until/unless DNAMaster goes 64-bit, which is unlikely). The Wine-on-os x method of running DNAMaster on OS X is at an end, as Catalina dropped support for 32-bit apps. If you have a Mac with 10.15 the only option at this point is to run it in a Windows VM (e.g. VMWare).
| posted 27 May, 2021 13:27
In a previous post, Christian mentioned that there is a $40 paid program called CrossOver for Macs running Catalina and newer OS versions that permits you to use DNA Master on the Mac without a virtual machine. If there's enough interest, I can beta test the trial version later this summer.
Edited 27 May, 2021 13:27

Login to post a reply.