SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Replication initiator protein A

| posted 02 Jun, 2018 17:36
I have seen good HHpred matches to this protein in a number of phages.

In Gordonia phage TimTam and Eviarto, I see a nice match with 97.2% probability and 36% coverage. Here's the definition
This entry represents the N-terminal domain of a small family of phage proteins. The protein contains a region of low-complexity sequence that reflects DNA direct repeats able to function as an origin of phage replication. The region is N-terminal to the low-complexity region.

Can call eitehr N-terminal phage replisome organiser or Replication initiator protein A

But can also go with more generic HTH DNA Binding domain protein
| posted 02 Jun, 2018 17:38
PS In both Gordonia phages Eviarto and TimTam, this gene is followed by the replisome organizer (helicase loader/inhibitor protein) so that function should also be added to the list
| posted 04 Jun, 2018 12:52
Is this the same as RepA? I think we have that already. IF not, how is it different?
| posted 04 Jun, 2018 17:42
So the HHPred match with a link to a pdb file does give me repA
https://www.rcsb.org/structure/4PT7

the short gene that follows also has nice matches to Bacillus subtilis replisome organizer so this protein may be coded by two genes but I will just call function for the first gene!

Login to post a reply.