SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

DNA binding protein, HU-like

| posted 17 Apr, 2018 18:40
I am looking at Cluster BH phages and have found a product that doesn't seem to fit the existing types of DNA binding proteins already on the official list.

The HHPRED results for Crosby_9225-8866 gene product are attached. Hits are at 99% probability and e-values of 10^-21 and coverage over most of the query. There are a number of hits called DNA-binding HU or Histone-like. A paper that talks about a possible role of one of these hits in DNA bending is http://emboj.embopress.org/content/22/14/3749 . On PECAAN, the Conserved Domain hits are also to this HU-like domain. Currently, all the members of the Pham are found in Cluster BH phages only.

I suggest that we add a new type of DNA binding function "DNA binding protein, HU-like"

Lee
| posted 17 Apr, 2018 18:49
sounds good to me. make it HU-like domain though. Crosby is for Sidney, no?
Edited 17 Apr, 2018 18:51
| posted 17 Apr, 2018 20:09
Welkin Pope
Crosby is for Sidney, no?

Wasn't sure what you were asking until I googled it smile

Thanks on the name edit to "DNA binding, HU-like domain"

Edited 17 Apr, 2018 20:41
| posted 18 Apr, 2018 14:36
Lee Hughes
Welkin Pope
Crosby is for Sidney, no?

Wasn't sure what you were asking until I googled it smile
I just can't even…. You are sentenced to watch play-off hockey for at least another week.

Login to post a reply.